BOSTON, Mass. – Led by Aleks Qose (Athens, Greece) and Bianca Coghi-DeSousa's (Sao Paulo, Brazil) match-high nine kills volleyball cruised to a 3-0 non-conference win over Emmanuel College Tuesday evening at Clark Athletic Center Gymnasium.
UMass Boston 3, Emmanuel College 0
UMass Boston (4-8)
Emmanuel College (4-6)
HOW IT HAPPENED
After cruising to a 25-15 and 25-14 wins in the first and second sets, the Beacons had to go the distance in the third, but managed to pull out the 26-24 decision.
The nine kills were career-highs for both players, with Qose leading the way with a .333 hitting percentage. Also having a strong match for the Beacons was Marcelle Tiscareno (El Paso, Texas), who absolutely crushed the ball all over the hardwood.
Freshman Mallory Reed (Alpharetta, Ga.) also had a big day for the Beacons scoring six kills, while finishing with a .500 hitting percentage.
The sophomore middle scored seven kills and also finished with a .333 hitting percentage. Carsen Komminsk (Worthington, Ohio) once again quarterbacked the Beacons offense which hit .270 in the win. The Ohio native finished with 27 assists, and also scored two aces, while also finishing with six digs.
A trio of Beacons finished tied with eight digs. Sidnee Berch (Boca Raton, Fla.) continued her impressive serving display as she tallied a match-high five aces, which included two to close out the second set.
BY THE NUMBERS
- All-time the Beacons are now 6-12 all-time against Emmanuel
- The back-to-back wins over the Saints marks the first win-streak for the Beacons
- Sarah Doyle (Glendale, Calif.) now needs just six block solos for her 100th and is now at 272 career total blocks in her four season on the harbor campus
- Prior to the start of the match the Beacons honored former head coach Terry Condon who this summer was inducted into the Little East Conference Hall of Fame.
- EC first year Samantha Carrigan (Plaistow, N.H.) posted a match-best 15 digs in the defeat while first year setter Rachel Coleman (Peabody, Mass.) added 10 assists.
The Beacons will travel to Eastern Connecticut State University on Friday for a 7 p.m. conference match. Emmanuel hosts Emerson College on Thursday in non-conference play at 7 p.m.
*Release courtesy of UMB Athletic Communications