Scores: Emerson College, 3; Emmanuel College, 0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-11)
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (4-7)
Emerson College Lions (5-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, September 26, 2019
THE LEAD: Emerson College combined to hit .367 as a team to power past host Emmanuel College, 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-11) in non-conference women's volleyball action on Thursday evening at the Andy Yosinoff Court on the Emmanuel campus.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions dominated net play in all three sets, holding the Saints to a combined .048 hitting percentage while swinging away at a gaudy .367 clip that included a .455 flurry in the opening stanza and .560 in the third set.
- The Saints scored the first point of the night on a kill by junior middle Molly Michaud (Cheshire, Conn.) before Emerson rattled off seven consecutive points to set the tone for the evening.
- Set number two was the tightest in the affair, as the squads played to a 14-14 score midway through the action before the Lions took the lead for good following an EC hitting error.
- Emerson wasted no time in the third set to seal the win, coming out of the break on a 9-1 run to eliminate any chance of a momentum shift, cruising to a 25-11 win to seal the sweep.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior Grace Tepper (Kensington, Md.) led all players with 14 kills for Emerson while junior right-side hitter Albany Alexander (Orlando, Fla.) added 10 kills.
- Senior middle hitter Alexandra Mezzo (Naugatuck, Conn.) paced the Saints with a team-high four kills to go along with three digs.
- Emmanuel first year Samantha Carrigan (Plaistow, N.H.) registered a team-high 12 digs in the effort.
- Emerson freshman setter Caroline Bond (Macungie, Penn.) ran a smooth offensive show all evening with 40 assists while first year libero Anna Phillips (Peoria, Ariz.) collected a match-high 14 digs.
- With the win, Emmanuel still holds the all-time series lead at 12-11 in 23 meetings, but the Lions have now won 10 of the last 11 meetings.
- The Saints return to action tomorrow afternoon when they open Great Northeast Athletic Conference action with a tri-match hosting by Anna Maria College, also featuring Johnson & Wales University.
- Emerson is back on Saturday, September 28 when they travel to Mount Holyoke College for a 12:00 PM match in NEWMAC action.