Scores: Wentworth Institute of Technology, 3; Emmanuel College, 0 (25-9, 25-18, 25-23)
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (4-5)
Wentworth Institute of Technology Leopards (7-4)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Gymnasium
Date: Saturday, September 21, 2019
THE LEAD: Wentworth Institute of Technology topped Emmanuel College, 3-0 (25-9-25-18, 25-23), in non-conference Women's Volleyball action Saturday morning in the Andy Yosinoff Court. With the win the Leopards improve to 7-4 on the year while the loss drops the Saints to 4-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trading points to a 4-4 score early in the opening set, Wentworth dominated the remainder of the action to cruise to a 25-9 win. The Leopards hit .276 as a team in the f
- rame while holding the Saints to a -.017 clip.
- WIT raced out to a 4-0 lead to open the second stanza before Emmanuel stormed back to take a 7-6 lead on a kill by freshman middle hitter Elizabeth Syverson (Huntington, Vt.).
- The Leopards would regain the lead at 12-11 following a kill by Riley Waggoner (Simi Valley, Calif.) but four consecutive WIT errors gave the Saints a 15-12 advantage midway through the set.
- The sides battled to a 17-17 tie before the Leopards took the lead for good, closing the second set on an 8-1 run to secure a 25-18 win.
- Emmanuel looked poised to take the third frame, holding seven-point leads at 14-7 and 19-12 but Wentworth was able to fight back and even the score at 20-20 following an ace by senior Leah Rogoz (Woodridge, Ill.).
- EC grabbed a 23-22 lead following a kill by senior outside hitter Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.) but the Leopards closed the match with three consecutive points including a Rogoz kill to seal the 25-23 third set win for the 3-0 sweep.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Rogoz led all players with a match-high 15 kills while adding 12 digs for WIT.
- Cataldo posted a match-high 14-digs in the loss for Emmanuel, marking the sixth match this season the senior has collected a double-digit dig total.
- WIT freshman setter Jordan Chapman (Clearwater, Fla.) tallied double-double with 28 assists and 11 digs.
- EC rookie setter Jalen Winfrey (Rochester, N.H.) dished out 15 helpers.
- Syverson and fellow freshman Isabella Miller (Blackstone, Mass.) paced EC with five kills each.
- In 25 career meetings, Emmanuel is 23-2 all-time vs. Wentworth but the Leopards have now won each of the last two meetings with sweeps.
- The Saints return to action on Tuesday, September 24 when they head across town to take on UMass Boston at 7:00 PM at the Clark Athletic Center.
- Wentworth also returns to the court on Tuesday, September 24 when they play host to Suffolk University at 7:00 PM.