Scores: Becker College, 0; Emmanuel College, 3 (25-14, 25-18, 25-14)
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (3-2)
Becker College Hawks (5-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, September 12, 2019
THE LEAD: First year middle hitter Elizabeth Syverson (Huntington, Vt.) collected a match-high 13 kills and five aces to power the Emmanuel College women's volleyball team past Becker College, 3-0, Thursday evening at the Jean Yawkey Center gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trading points early in Set 1 to a 4-4 score, the Saints orchestrated a 7-0 run behind the service game of freshman Isabella Miller (Blackstone, Mass.) to build an 11-4 cushion.
- Leading 19-14, Emmanuel closed out the first with a 6-0 spurt, again behind the service of Miller to seal a 25-14 win in the opening frame.
- The Hawks led briefly in Set 2, taking a 4-3 lead following a kill by freshman outside hitter Teddie Flynn (Amesbury, Mass.) but freshman Samantha Carrigan (Plaistow, N.H.) steadied the ship with seven straight points behind her serve to give EC a 10-4 lead.
- Syverson closed out another 5-0 flurry by the Saints to increase the set lead to 17-10 but the Hawks made it interesting, cutting the score to 20-17 after an Emmanuel attacking error.
- EC closed out the second set with two kills by freshman Kerry Shea (Tewksbury, Mass.) to take the frame, 25-18.
- The Saints cruised in the final frame, never trailing after building a 4-0 lead out of the gate.
- Leading 21-14 in the final minutes, Syverson brought it home with a pair of aces and her 13th kill of the evening to secure the 25-14 win of Set 3.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emmanuel collectively hit .240 on the night as a team, fueled by a .478 clip by Syverson while holding the Hawks to just a .025 team percentage.
- Senior outside hitter Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.) was kept in check at the net but played well defensively with a team-high 14 digs while Carrigan chipped in with 10 digs in the effort.
- EC freshman setter Rachel Coleman (Peabody, Mass.) dished out a season-best 21 helpers while fellow rookie Jalen Winfrey (Rochester, N.H.) added 13 assists in the win.
- Sophomore libero Joanna Bampi (Peabody, Mass.) was strong defensively for Becker collecting a match-best 21 digs while senior Sophia Cullina (Deep River, Conn.) contributed 10 digs in the outing.
- The win marked the second consecutive victory for Emmanuel over Becker as the Saints now lead the all-time series, 2-0.
- The Hawks fall to 5-1 on the year, marking their first loss of the 2019 slate.
- The Saints return to action this weekend when they head to Milton, Mass. to take on Curry College and Husson University in a non-conference tri-match beginning at 11:00 AM.
- Becker is also back in action on Saturday, hosting MCLA at noon.