Emmanuel College, 0; Penn State Berks, 3 (25-16, 25-20, 25-14)
Emmanuel College, 3; Smith College, 0 (25-21, 25-23, 25-22)
Emmanuel College Saints (1-2, 0-0 GNAC)
Penn State Berks Nittany Lions (2-1, 0-0 NEAC)
Smith College Pioneers (0-3, 0-0 NEWMAC)
Location: Danbury, Conn. – Western CT State University
Date: Saturday, August 31, 2019
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College women's volleyball team split a pair of matches on the final day of the Colonial Classic on Saturday afternoon. The Saints suffered a 3-0 setback to Penn State Berks to open the day, but bounced back with a 3-0 victory over Smith College later in the day.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Nittany Lions got off to a quick start and never looked back as Zoe Barna led the offense with seven kills, while Abbie Carr and Maddie Deloglos both had six kills for PSU Berks.
- The Saints were plagued by 25 hitting errors and hit just .009 as a team, getting a team-high eight kills from senior Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.).
- EC bounced back against Smith, posting a 3-0 sweep behind strong play by the first-year class.
- Freshman Samantha Carrigan (Plaistow, N.H.) collected 27 digs and four aces, freshman Jalen Winfrey (Rochester, N.H.) dished out 20 assists to go along with nine digs while freshman Isabella Miller (Blackstone, Mass.) collected a match-high nine kills in the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Carrigan finished the weekend with 67 total digs over the three matches to earn a spot on the Colonial Classic All-Tournament Team.
- 17 players saw action in the tournament including 10 first-time appearances by new members of the program.
- Cataldo played in her 300th career set on Saturday afternoon and now has 303 sets played at Emmanuel.
- EC is now idle until Tuesday, September 10 when they head to Lesley University for a 7:00 PM non-conference match up.