Score: Emmanuel College, 3; Regis College, 0
Emmanuel College, 3, University of Saint Joseph (CT), 1
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (9-16, 6-6 GNAC)
Regis College Pride (12-16, 4-8 GNAC)
University of Saint Joseph College Blue Jays (11-15, 2-10 GNAC)
Location: West Hartford, Conn. – O'Connell Center
Date: Saturday, October 27, 2018
THE LEAD: Senior outside hitter Mary Shelow (Miami, Fla.) combined for 26 kills including the 1,000th of her career to power the Emmanuel College women's volleyball team past Regis College and University of Saint Joseph (CT) in a GNAC tri-match sweep Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set went back and forth, as there were 15 ties with neither team holding more than a two-point advantage until the 41st point of the set. Down 19-17, Emmanuel closed out the set with an 8-2 scoring run, capped by kills from Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.) and Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.).
- Emmanuel took control of the second set with eight unanswered points, led by three kills from Cataldo and two kills by Alexandra Mezzo (Naugatuck, Conn.). Down set point, Regis extended the set with a kill by Julia Pelland and a Saint attack error, but Emmanuel finally clinched the second set with a kill by Sheehan.
- The early part of the third set was close, but the Saints opened a seven-point lead thanks to six straight points, punctuated by a kill and a service ace from Cataldo. Regis rallied with an 8-4 scoring run to close to within three, but Emmanuel finally clinched the set and the match thanks to a kill by Shelow.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Shelow led the Saints with 12 kills, a .458 hitting percentage, two service aces, and three total blocks.
- Cataldo finished with 11 kills, setter Carly Church (Higganum, Conn.) notched a double-double with 30 assists and 12 digs, and Katharine Journeay led the defense with 14 digs.
- The host Blue Jays took the first set, 25-22, and during the frame Shelow slammed home her 1,000th career kill to become just the fifth player in program histroy to join the Grand Club in kills.
- Emmanuel rallied behind Shelow, cruising to a 25-15 win in set two to even the match at 1-1
- EC hit a match-est .310 in the third frame, collecting 11 kills to stretch the lead to 25-19 for a 2-1 advantage in the match.
- The Saints held on to pick up the 25-14 win in set four, to take the match 3-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Shelow recorded a match-high 14 kills to go along with six aces.
- Emmanuel collected 18 aces as a team in the win.
- Mezzo chipped in with 10 kills while Church dished out 33 assists in the win.
- Aminah Tsonga paced USJ with a team-best 10 kills.
- With the pair of wins, the Saints clinched a spot in next week's GNAC tournament and will travel to #2 Rivier University in the GNAC Quarterfinals.