Colby-Sawyer College, 3; Emmanuel College, 2 (23-25, 25-23, 23-25, 25-23, 15-8)
Emmanuel College Saints (7-15, 4-5 GNAC)
Colby-Sawyer College Chargers (17-9, 8-2 GNAC)
Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Saturday, October 20, 2018
THE LEAD: Colby-Sawyer College rallied over host Emmanuel College for a 3-2 Great Northeast Athletic Conference women's volleyball decision Saturday afternoon on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first four sets were all tight, each decided by just two points with scored of 25-23 in each frame.
- Emmanuel jumped out to take a 1-0 lead in the match with 10 kills in the opening frame while holding the Chargers to a .000 hitting percentage in the set.
- Colby-Sawyer rebounded with a match-best 17 kills in the second set, breaking a 12-12 tie midway through the action with a kill from freshman outside hitter Maddie Bromley (Truckee, Calif.) to take the lead for good.
- The Saints answered with a nice rally in the third set, trailing 15-9 before putting pushing several points to tie the frame at 22-22 on an ace from senior libero Katharine Journeay (Hampton, N.H.) before going on to win the set on another ace from junior middle hitter Alexandra Mezzo (Naugatuck, Conn.) for a 2-1 lead in the match.
- The Chargers did not get phased in the fourth, racing out to an 8-3 lead before Emmanuel clawed back with a 6-1 flurry to tie that score at 9-9. Colby-Sawyer took the lead for good on an ace from Nicole Olivieri (Salem, N.H.), fighting off another late rally to force the decisive fifth frame.
- A kill from EC senior outside hitter Mary Shelow (Miami, Fla.) gave the Saints a brief 4-3 lead in the fifth but it would prove to be the host's last lead of the afternoon as the Chargers switched sides with an 8-7 lead following a kill by Courtney Murray (Quincy, Mass.) and would end the match on a 7-1 run to coast to the fifth set win and take the match, 3-2.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Shelow led all players with a career-high 24 kills while EC sophomore Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.) added 12 kills in the defeat.
- Murray, Naarah Cox (Boston, Mass.) and Bromley all posted double-figures in kills with 15, 14 and 10, respectively.
- CSC freshman setter Anna Allen (Los Angeles, Calif.) dished out a season-high 47 assists in the win while EC senior setter Carly Church (Higganum, Conn.) matched her career-high with 42 helpers.
- Both squad's liberos were busy as junior Morgan Flynn (Reading, Mass.) posted a season-high 34 digs while Journeay led Emmanuel with 24 digs.
- The loss was the 10th straight for the Saints and fifth straight in GNAC play.
- Emmanuel can secure a playoff berth next weekend with either one victory in their tri-match against Regis College and University of Saint Joseph (CT) or a loss from Albertus Magnus or Saint Joseph's College (ME).
- Prior to the start of the match, the Emmanuel athletic department honors the five senior members on the 2018 roster. Along with Shelow, Journey and C. Church, the Saints recognized seniors Michelle Church (Higganum, Conn.) and Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.)
- The Saints return to the court on Wednesday, October 24 for their final regular-season home match on the slate, hosting Keene State College at 7:00 PM.
- Colby-Sawyer also is back in action on Wednesday, October 24, hosting Middlebury College at 7:00 PM in on-conference play.