Simmons University, 3; Emmanuel College, 1
Emmanuel College Saints (7-10, 4-3 GNAC)
Simmons University Sharks (8-10, 4-3 GNAC
Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Wednesday, October 10, 2018
THE LEAD: Simmons University used 15 aces and a combined 14 blocks to power past host Emmanuel College, 3-1 (25-20, 17-25, 25-18, 25-19) Wednesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference Women's Volleyball action on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the opening set, the Saints led midway through the action at 15-13 before the Sharks used a 7-0 run behind the service game of sophomore setter Riley Roberge (Peoria, Ariz.) to take control of the frame with a 20-15 lead en route to a 25-20 win.
- Emmanuel tied the match up with a 25-17 second set win, holding Simmons to a .000 hitting percentage while getting three kills and six digs from senior outside hitter Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.) in the set.
- Simmons responded with a 12-4 run to open the third set, powered by strong play at the net by freshman Amanda Fortune (Round Rock, Texas) and Roberge to cruise to a 25-18 win and take a 2-1 lead into the fourth frame.
- After briefly trailing 2-1, the Sharks took the lead for good on a kill by freshman outside hitter Krissy Lloyd (Tampa, Fla.), hitting an impressive .308 as a team in the frame to earn the 25-19 win to take the match, 3-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emmanuel has now dropped five consecutive matches including three straight in GNAC play.
- EC senior Mary Shelow (Miami, Fla.) led all players with 13 kills while Lloyd paced the Sharks with a team-high 11 kills.
- Simmons sophomore libero Julia Fusco (Beverly, Mass.) collected a match-hgih 19 digs in the win while first year Reilly Coombs (Deland, Fla.) added 17 digs.
- For the Saints, Sheehan ended the match with a team-high 16 digs to go along with six kills.
- Fortune finished the night with six kills and six aces while Roberge added seven kills and five aces.
- Emmanuel returns to action tomorrow evening, playing host to Rivier University at 7:00 PM in more GNAC action.
- Simmons is also back on the court tomorrow, heading to Babson Park, Mass. to take on Babson College at 7:00 PM in non-conference play.