Suffolk University, 3; Emmanuel College, 2
University of New England, 3; Emmanuel College, 0
Emmanuel College Saints (7-9, 4-2 GNAC)
Suffolk University Rams (4-12, 2-3 GNAC
University of New England Nor'Easters (6-12)
Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Saturday, October 6, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College women's volleyball team dropped two matches on Saturday afternoon, falling to Suffolk University 3-2 in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action before losing a 3-0 decision to the University of New England in non-conference play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SUFFOLK VS. EMMANUEL
- The Rams took set one behind strong play at the net, hitting a combined .333 as a team in the set to secure a 25-23 win.
- Emmanuel answered to even the match at 1-1, racing out to a 10-2 lead in the second set en route to a 25-19 win.
- The hosts used the momentum to pick u p a 25-21 win in the third set, holding Suffolk to a .000 hitting percentage (9/9/32) in the stanza to take a 2-1 lead in the action.
- The Saints appeared to have the match in hand in the fourth, leading 18-10 before Suffolk went on a 9-1 run to even the score at 19-19 and eventually go on to win the set in extra points, 28-26, to force a fifth frame.
- After trading points early in the fifth, a kill by Kayla Barbera (Wakefield, R.I.) put the Rams on top for good to complete the comeback win with a 15-11 win in the fifth frame to seal the 3-2 victory.
- EC senior outside hitter Mary Shelow (Miami, Fla.) led all players with 21 kills while also collecting 10 digs for a double-double.
- Barbera finished with a team-best 17 kills while Hannah Fabiano (Litchfield, N.H.) chipped in with 16 kills for the Rams.
- Suffolk setter Talia Lombardo (Windham, N.H.) dished out a season and career-high 55 assists in the win.
- EC junior Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.) also posted a double-double with 19 digs and 11 kills for Emmanuel.
UNE VS. EMMANUEL
- In the opening set, the squads battled to a 14-14 tie before the Nor'Easters took the lead for good with the help of an Emmanuel hitting error en route to the 25-18 first set win.
- UNE carried the momentum over into the second set, breaking a 5-5 tie with a 9-0 run behind the service game of Sydney Christiansen (Palatine, Ill.) to power the visitors to a dominating 25-12 win in the second set.
- Emmanuel was in control for much of the action in set three, leading the majority of the way until UNE scored three straight points to shift the tide to a 18-17 lead which the hosts never regained in the 25-22 final.
- Four players collected 6+ kills for the Nor'Easters including nine each for Katie Flynn (Merrimack, N.H.) and Rene Roggenbuck (Goffstown, N.H.).
- Shelow led all players with 14 kills for Emmanuel.
- Christiansen ran a balanced offense for UNE with 30 assists in the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emmanuel has now dropped four consecutive matches for the first time during the 2018 campaign.
- The tri-match sweep for the Nor'Easters was their first sweep of the season, snapping a five-match losing skid.
- The Suffolk win over Emmanuel marks their second straight victory over EC after losing in their previous 20 meetings.
- Both Emmanuel and Suffolk return to action on Wednesday, October 10 in GNAC play. The Saints host Simmons University at 7:00 PM while the Rams host University of Saint Joseph (CT) at 7:00 PM.
- UNE is back on Tuesday, October 9 when they travel to Gordon College for a 7:00 PM CCC showdown.