NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Emmanuel College women's volleyball team opened its 2018 GNAC slate with a pair of wins Saturday morning, besting Albertus Magnus College 3-1 before topping Norwich University, 3-0. The Saints improve to 2-1 overall and open GNAC play with a 2-0 mark.
Emmanuel College, 3 vs. Albertus Magnus, 1 (25-20, 22-25, 25-9, 25-11)
Emmanuel College, 3 vs Norwich University, 0 (25-18, 25-22, 25-16)
Emmanuel Saints (2-1, 2-0 GNAC)
Albertus Magnus Falcons (3-2, 1-1 GNAC)
Norwich Cadets (2-3, 0-2 GNAC)
AMC Athletic Center - New Haven, Conn.
Saturday, September 8, 2018
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The host Falcons raced out in the opening set to a commanding 18-9 lead before the Saints stormed back with 11 straight points to go ahead 20-18.
- Following an EC hitting error to make it 20-19, the Saints scored five of the final six points to rally for the 25-20 first set win.
- The squads traded points to 17-17 score before Albertus Magnus pushed ahead 21-18 following a pair of EC errors.
- Emmanuel responded to even the match at 21-21 but the Falcons answered with three straight points and a kill by Vanessa Isyk (Meriden, Conn.) to take the set 25-22 and even the match at 1-1.
- Emmanuel raced out to a 5-0 lead to start the action and never looked back, opening up a 12-2 lead midway through following a kill by junior outside hitter Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.).
- EC led by as many as 14 points in the set, hitting .385 as a team from the floor en route to a 25-9 win to take a 2-1 lead overall.
- EC broke a 5-5 tie with five straight points to take control of the fourth set, coasting to a 25-11 win to seal the match.
- Cataldo had five kills in the set while senior outside hitter Mary Shelow (Miami, Fla.) added four kills in the frame
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Shelow led the way for Emmanuel with a match-high 14 kills while Cataldo finished with 13 kills. Also in double-figure kill totals for the Saints was sophomore middle hitter Molly Michard (Cheshire, Conn.) with 10 winners.
- Senior setter Carly Church (Higganum, Conn.) dished out 39 helpers in the win.
- Seniors Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.) and Katharine Journeay (Hampton, N.H.) chipped in with 33 combined digs.
- Genesis Cora Luquis (Meriden, Conn.) paced the Falcons with a team-high nine kills while Isyk finished with eight kills.
- Luquis added a team-high 15 digs for the double-double.
- After falling behind early on, 4-3, the Saints took control of the opening set action vs. the Cadets to cruise to a 25-18 win powered by five Cataldo kills.
- NU outsider hitter Kathryn Farnum () opened the second frame with a kill before the Saints took the lead for good in a tight 25-22 win.
- Emmanuel landed 12 kills in the frame while the Cadets found the floor 11 times.
- In a sloppy final frame, the Saints forced Norwich into hitting a negative -.061 in the set to power home a 25-16 win for the sweep.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- NU junior Michele Zummo (Highland Mills, N.Y.) led the way with a match-high 10 kills for the Cadets while Brianna Dawson (Katonah, N.Y.) collected 20 digs.
- Shelow and Cataldo combined for 17 kills while Journeay posted a match-high 21 digs in the win.
Emmanuel returns to action on Tuesday, September 11 when they head to Becker College for a non-conference match at 7:00 PM.