Score: Emmanuel College, 7; Lasell College, 1 -- Emmanuel College, 11; Lasell College, 8
Records: Emmanuel College Saints, 11-9, 2-0 GNAC; Lasell College Lasers 3-15, 0-2 GNAC
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Saturday, April 6, 2019
The Lead - The Emmanuel College softball team blasted six home runs to power past Lasell College, 7-1 & 11-8, Saturday morning in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
How it Happened
- After the Lasers' bats were silent in the top of the first, EC freshman Grace Orcutt (Lexington, Mass.) and junior Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) got things started for the Saints with home runs to make it 5-0. Orcutt blasted a two-run bomb before Ramirez-Tejeda added a three-run shot.
- Ramirez-Tejeda extended the Saint's lead in the third to 6-0 with her second home run of the game, a solo blast to center field.
- The Lasers earned their only run of the game in the top of the fourth with a solo home run from junior Victoria Spellman (Rocky Hill, Conn.) to cut the lead to 6-1. The homer was also the 100th career hit for Spellman.
- In the fourth, Emmanuel freshman Renae Lacroix (Cumberland, R.I.) drove in the final run of the game for the Saint to account for the 7-1 final.
- EC senior pitcher Megan Kieselback (Wethersfield, Conn.) worked six innings to earn the win and improve to 4-5 on the year in the circle while Orcutt pitched a scoreless seventh to preserve the win.
How it Happened
- Orcutt struck again in the bottom of the first to get things started for the Saints with her second moonshot of the morning, a three-run homer to give Emmanuel an early 3-0 cushion.
- After senior Audrey Esakoff (Ventura, Calif.) doubled to left field in the second, senior Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) extended the Saints' lead with two-run inside the park home run to right field to bump the score to 5-0.
- The Lasers got their first hit of the game in the fourth on an RBI double from junior Arianna Genovese (Rocky Hill, Conn.) to get one back at 5-1.
- EC junior Sarah Hoisl (West Hartford, Conn.) added a few more runs for the Saints in the fourth with a two-run home run to make it a six-run cushion at 7-1.
- Senior Kerry Sendrick (Medway, Mass.) drove in pinch-runner freshman Abigail Conley (Riverside, R.I.) on a single to center field in the fifth, 8-1.
- Three RBI singles from Genovese, Spellman, and sophomore Hailey Haskins (Franklin, N.H.) drove in three runs for the Lasers to cut the lead in half at 8-4.
- The Lasers tied the game in sixth after two walks drove in two more runs and Haskins scored on a wild pitch, 8-8.
- The Saints regained lead in the bottom of the sixth on RBI singles from Orcutt and freshman Avery Webb (Hollis, N.H) which brought in a combined total of three runs, 11-8.
- Orcutt recording her first collegiate win in relief, retiring the final out in the sixth while Kieselback came in to close the door in the seventh to record the save.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Orcutt finished the day going 6-for-7 at the plate, driving in six RBI while scoring three runs.
- Ramirez-Tejeda finished the day going 3-for-6 at the plate with four RBI and two runs scored.
- Emmanuel has now won seven straight games.
- The Saints return to action for another GNAC twinbill playing host to Rivier University at 1/3:00 PM tomorrow afternoon.
- The Lasers hit the road tomorrow for a GNAC pair in Providence, R.I. at Johnson & Wales University.