Scores: Emerson, 6; Emmanuel College, 7
Emerson, 3; Emmanuel College, 9
Records: Emerson College Lions (10-11); Emmanuel College Saints (9-9)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Wednesday, April 3, 2019
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College Saints swept the Emerson College Lions in non-conference softball action Wednesday evening at Roberto Clemente Field. The Saints walked off with a 7-6 win in Game 1 before posting a 9-3 Game 2 victory for the program's first sweep over the Lions in 22 years.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Sophomore Lindsey Lowe (Porter Ranch, Calif.) got things started for the Lions in the top of the first with a three-run home run to give Emerson an early 3-0 lead.
- Junior Micaela Dix (White House Station, New Jersey) homered for the Lions in the second bringing in two more runs to extend their lead, 5-0.
- The Saints earned their first two runs of the night on an RBI single from senior Audrey Esakoff (Ventura, Calif) in the second to chip away and make it 5-2.
- The Lions extended the lead by one in the third on their third homer of the night from senior Kallista Leonardos (El Granada, Calif.) bumping the lead to 6-2.
- After a silent fourth inning for both teams, Emmanuel freshman Renae Lacroix (Cumberland, R.I.) closed the gap for the Saints on an RBI single to cut the deficit to 6-3.
- The Lions' bats remained silent for the remainder of the game as senior Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) was dominant in relief to keep the visitors off the board.
- The Saints were able to score three unearned runs in the sixth to make tie the game at 6-6 with freshman Grace Orcutt (Lexington, Mass.) delivering an RBI single to even the score.
- Emmanuel walked off with the win in the seventh on a sacrifice fly from junior Sarah Hoisl (West Hartford, Conn.) which plated junior outfielder Yuleska Ramriez-Tejeda to give the Saints a 7-6 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Freshman Calli Pratt got things started for the Lions in the first driving in two runs on an RBI single, 2-0.
- Olivia Burgos put the Saints on the scoreboard and closed the gap after scoring on a wild pitch, 1-1.
- The Saints were able to take the lead in the second with a combined total of four RBI's on a single from junior Sarah Hoisl (West Hartford, Conn.), a double from Burgos and a sacrifice fly from freshman Renae Lacroix (Cumberland, R.I.), 5-1.
- The Saints' offense continued in the third with a three-run homerun from freshman Avery Webb (Hollis, New Hampshire) to bump the lead to 8-2.
- Emerson senior centerfielder Marisa DeFranco () got one run back in the fourth with an RBI single to but the lead to 8-3 but Webb answered in the fifth with her second homer of the night, a solo blast, to account for the 9-3 final score.
- Senior pitcher Megan Kieselback (Wethersfield, Conn.) went the distance for Emmanuel to earn the win, striking out 10 in her third victory of the season.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Burgos finished the night going 4-for-8 at the plate, scoring four runs, driving in a pair and earning the game one victory in the circle.
- Senior shortstop Audrey Esakoff (Ventura, Calif.) collected two hits in each games for the Saints.
- Webb's homers marked the second straight game the rookie has gone deep in as she now has seven RBI over her last two appearance.
- The win for the Saints snapped a 16-game winless drought over Emerson dating back to the 2007 season.
- The doubleheader sweep over the Lions was the first sweep for the Saints vs. Emerson since the 1997 season when Emmanuel picked up a 12-4 and 4-1 victory on April 12, 1997.
- Emmanuel returns to action on the morning of Saturday, April 6 playing host to Lasell College at 10:00 AM in their first GNAC action of the season.
- Emerson is back on Friday, April 5 for a NEWMAC battle at home against 5 MIT at 3:00 PM.