Score: Monmouth College, 3; Emmanuel College, 4 (8 innings)
Records: Monmouth College Fighting Scots (0-7); Emmanuel College Saints (2-3)
Location: Kissimmee, Fla. – Hancock Park
Date: Wednesday, March 6, 2019
THE LEAD: Senior shortstop Audrey Esakoff (Ventura, Calif.) connected on a two-out RBI single in the eighth inning to lift the Emmanuel College softball team to a 4-3 walk-off victory over Monmouth College (IIl.) in Day 3 action of the NTC Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel scored the game's first run in the bottom of the third to take a 1-0 lead. Junior outfielder Sarah Hoisl (West Hartford, Conn.) singled, stole second, advanced to third on a throwing error and came around to score on an RBI single to right by freshman third baseman Renae Lacroix (Cumberland, R.I.).
- The Fighting Scots pushed three unearned runs across in the top of the fifth to take a 3-1 lead. A two-out error put two runners on for junior Lauren Sperry (Alexis, Ill.) who delivered a two-RBI double to right center. Sperry came around to score to make it 3-1 on an RBI single by senior Kaelan Bradley (Milan, Ill.).
- The Saints got one back in the bottom half of the inning to pull within one making it a 3-2 game as senior Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) plated Emmanuel's second run.
- Senior first baseman Ashely Skey (Brookline, N.H.) blasted her 20th career homerun in the sixth to even the score at 3-3 and set the stage for Esakoff's extra inning heroics.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Skey finished the game going 2-for-3 at the plate and was the only EC player to collect multiple hits in the win.
- Senior hurling Megan Kieselback (Wethersfield, Conn.) earned her first win of the year in the circle, throwing a complete-game and scattering nine hits while striking out four. All three runs allowed were unearned.
- Freshman Jenna Pauley (Moline, Ill.) pitched well in defeat, allowing four runs (one earned) on eight hits while striking out two to fall to 0-1 on the year.
- At the plate, the Scots were led by freshman catcher Jessica Pauley (Moline, Ill.) who finished the game going 3-for-4.
- Both teams return to action later today as Emmanuel takes on Lebanon Valley at 11:15 AM while Monmouth faces New England College.