Score: College of Saint Elizabeth, 9; Emmanuel College, 17 (5-innings)
Records: College of Saint Elizabeth Eagles (1-2); Emmanuel College Saints (1-3)
Location: Kissimmee, Fla. – Legends Way
Date: Monday, March 4, 2019
THE LEAD: Emmanuel College racked up 17 hits over five innings to cruise past the College of Saint Elizabeth, 17-9, Monday afternoon in Day 2 softball action of the NTC Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saint plated five runs in both the first and second inning to jump out to an early 10-1 lead and never looked back.
- The Eagles made things interesting, plating three in the second to cut the lead to 10-4 but Emmanuel responded with three in the bottom half of the frame to grow its lead to 13-4.
- College of Saint Elizabeth continued to battle, scoring three in the fourth and two more in the fifth to pull within 13-9 heading into the bottom of the fifth inning.
- EC eliminated any chance of a comeback, plating four runs including a walk-off RBI single by junior outfielder Sarah Hoisl (West Hartford, Conn.) to seal the 17-9 run-rule victory.
- Emmanuel sophomore pitcher Mikaela Montemagni (Chicopee, Mass.) earned the win in the circle to improve to 1-1 on the year while Laura Costello (Allentown, Pa.) suffered the loss to fall to 0-1 for CSE.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- EC junior Kerry Sendrick (Medway, Mass.) and senior Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.) did most of the damage at the plate for Emmanuel, collecting three hits a piece while combining for 10 RBI (Sendrick, 6 & Sheehan, 4).
- Freshman third baseman Renae LaCroix (Cumberland, R.I.) also finished the game with three hits while scoring three runs.
- Senior Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) and sophomore Megan Long (Smithfield, R.I.) added two hits each in the win.
- Emmanuel is idle tomorrow and returns to action on Wednesday, March 6 at 9:00 AM for Day 3 action of the NTC games against Monmouth (Ill.) College.