Score: Moravian College, 9; Emmanuel College, 2
Records: Moravian College Greyhounds (2-1); Emmanuel College Saints (0-3)
Location: Kissimmee, Fla. – Legends
Date: Monday, March 4, 2019
THE LEAD: #24 Moravian College scored five unearned runs in the fourth inning to propel the Greyhounds past Emmanuel College, 9-2, Monday morning in Day 2 action of the NTC Spring Games in Kissimmee, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel got off to a quick start plating two runs in the first to take an early 2-0 lead as senior left fielder Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) led off the game with a walk, stole second and came around to score on an RBI single to right by senior catcher Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.). Sheehan scored the second run on an RBI double down the left field line by freshman designated player Grace Orcutt (Lexington, Mass.) to account for the second EC run in the inning.
- The Greyhounds cut the lead in half with a run in the bottom of the second to make it 2-1 on an RBI double to deep left center by sophomore Maddisen Bieber (Chalfont, Pa.). Moravian threatened for more but EC senior hurler Megan Kieselback (Wethersfield, Conn.) stranded a pair to preserve the one-run lead.
- Moravian freshman pitcher Alexandria Scheeler (Telford, Pa.) kept the Saints' bat quiet, retiring 10 straight batters after allowing a one-out triple in the second to EC junior centerfield Sarah Hoisl (West Hartford, Conn.).
- With the help of four Emmanuel errors in the fourth, Moravian sent nine batters to the plate and pushed across five unearned runs across to jump ahead, 6-2.
- Following an RBI double to left by senior Madison Shaneberger (Saylorsburg, Pa.), Scheeler helped her cause with a two-RBI single up the middle to make it 9-2 in the sixth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Scheeler improves to 2-0 on the year in the circle, allowing two runs on six hits while striking out four.
- Kieselback suffers the loss, falling to 0-2 overall surrendering six runs (one earned) on six hits over three and two thirds innings pitched.
- Scheeler, Shaneberger and sophomore Shannon Brogan (Clark, N.J.) all finished with two hits apiece for Moravian.
- This marks the second straight game that Emmanuel held an early lead but ended up dropping the decision in the end.
- Emmanuel returns to action later today against the College of Saint Elizabeth at 1:30 PM.
- Moravian takes on Monmouth (Ill.) at 11:30 AM.