Score: Misericordia University, 5; Emmanuel College, 1
Records: Misericordia University Cougars (1-1); Emmanuel College Saints (0-2)
Location: Kissimmee, Fla. – Osceola Complex
Date: Sunday, March 3, 2019
THE LEAD: Sophomore shortstop Amanda Butera (Collegeville, Pa.) went 3-for-3 with three RBI to power the Misericordia University softball team past Emmanuel College, 5-1, Sunday afternoon in Day 1 action of the NTC Spring Games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints jumped out to a 1-0 lead with a run in the top of the first as freshman third baseman Renae Lacroix (Cumberland, R.I.) reached with a bunt single, stole second and came around to score on an RBI single to right center by freshman designated player Grace Orcutt (Lexington, Mass.).
- The Cougars had runners in scoring position in both the first two frames but sophomore Mikaela Montemagni (Chicopee, Mass.) and the EC defense stranded them to preserve the 1-0 lead.
- Butera evened the score in the third with a one-out solo home run to right to make it a 1-1 game before the Cougars took a 2-1 lead later in the inning with an unearned run.
- In the fourth, sophomore centerfielder Maddie Holub (Coplay, Pa.) bumped the Misericordia lead to 3-1 with an RBI single up the middle.
- Misericordia added two insurance runs in the sixth on a two-RBI single to left by Butera, plating two more unearned runs for the Cougars to bump the lead to 5-1.
- Freshman pitcher Miranda Bohn (Nanticoke, Pa.) kept the Emmanuel bats quiet to preserve MU lead, allowing just two base runners after the third inning to record her first collegiate victory in the circle, striking out five in the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- EC senior outfielder Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) was the only Saint with multiple hits, finishing the game going 2-for-3 at the plate.
- Montemagni went the distance in the circle to suffer the loss, allowing five runs (two earned) on eight hits while striking out one.
- Emmanuel opens the year with an 0-2 mark, marking the first time since the 2012 campaign that they were swept in their opening day of play during Spring Break action.
- Emmanuel returns to action tomorrow at 9:00 AM against Moravian College for Day 2 action of the NTC Spring Games at Legends Way Ballfields (Field 3).
- Misericordia is also back on the field tomorrow, playing Widener University at 10:00 AM.