Scores: Regis College, 1; Emmanuel College, 10 (5 innings)
Regis College, 1; Emmanuel College, 9 (6 innings)
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (20-15, 13-9 GNAC)
Regis College Pride (7-19, 3-15 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Friday, April 27, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College softball clinched a spot in next week's Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) tournament field while extending its winning streak to eight games with a GNAC sweep over Regis College on Friday evening at Roberto Clemente Field. The Saints posted a 10-1 victory in game one followed by a 9-1 win in game two.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior pitcher Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn. scattered four hits over five innings of work to pick up her 10th victory of the season, also going 2-for-2 at the plate with a pair of extra base hits to become just the third player in program history to record 20+ extra base hits in a season.
- The Pride opened the scoring in the top of the first on an RBI double to center by senior Alexa Nejaime (Sandisfield, Mass.) to drive in sophomore Ellery Rasmussen.
- Emmanuel responded with four runs in the first and put the game away with four more runs in the second to build an early 8-1 lead fueled by a two-run homer by sophomore centerfielder Sarah Hoisl (West Hartford, Conn.).
- Burgos belted her team-leading sixth home run of the season in the third to make it 9-1 before junior catcher Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.) got into the action with a solo blast in the fourth to account for the 10-1 final.
- Freshman hurler Mikaela Montemagni (Chicopee, Mass.) pitched six innings of two-hit ball to power the Saints to their fourth consecutive GNAC sweep, allowing just one run while registering six strikeouts to improve to 3-2 on the year.
- The Saints scored in every inning getting two in the first and two in the second to go ahead 4-0 after two.
- Runs in the third and fourth on RBI singles from Burgos and freshman second basemen Meaghan Price (Corning, N.Y.) bumped the lead to 6-0 through four innings of play.
- Regis got on the board in the fifth as Nejaime opened the stanza with a triple before coming in to score on a sacrifice fly by junior Brianna Napoleone (Medford, Mass.) on a close play at the plate to make it 6-1.
- Emmanuel posted two more runs in the fifth to increase the lead to 8-1 including an RBI double down the left field line by freshman Megan Long (Greenville, R.I.).
- Sophomore outfielder Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (South Boston, Mass.) delivered the walk-off win in the sixth with an RBI double to right centerfield to drive in the ninth run and make it a 9-1 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Burgos joined the company of teammate Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.) and former teammate Catherine Davis '16 in becoming the only players to record 20+ extra base hits in a single season at Emmanuel.
- Regis junior Allie Petillo (West Sayville, N.Y.) suffered the loss in both games to fall to 1-5 on the year in the circle.
- The eight game winning streak is the Saints longest of the season and ties the program-record for consecutive victories.
- Motemagni added three hits at the plate in game two for the first three-hit game of her collegiate career.
- Emmanuel returns to tomorrow when they head to New Haven, Conn. for their final GNAC contests of the regular season against Albertus Magnus College at 12:00 and 2:00 PM.
- Regis is also back in action tomorrow playing host to Lasell College at 12:00 and 2:00 PM.