Scores: Anna Maria College, 0; Emmanuel College, 6
Anna Maria College, 0; Emmanuel College, 10 (5 inn.)
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (14-15, 7-9 GNAC)
Anna Maria College AMCats (2-20, 0-20 GNAC)
Location: Paxton, Mass. – AMCat Field
Date: Sunday, April 22, 2018
THE LEAD: Junior pitcher Megan Kieselback (Wethersfield, Conn.) fired a no-hitter while junior Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) and freshman Mikaela Montemagni (Chicopee, Mass.) combined for a one-hitter as the Emmanuel College softball team swept Anna Maria College in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action on Sunday afternoon by scores of 6-0 and 10-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints jumped out to an early 1-0 lead as junior catcher Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.) plated junior outfielder Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) with a safety squeeze to give EC the first run of the afternoon.
- Kieselback helped her own cause and made it 2-0 with an RBI double to left center in the second inning.
- A two-run blast by sophomore centerfielder Sarah Hoisl (West Hartford, Conn.) bumped the lead to 4-0 in the third before a solo shot from Burgos to center made it 5-0 in the fifth.
- Kieselback made it hold up retiring the final 19 batters she faced to earn the complete-game shutout and the first no-hitter of her collegiate career, striking out seven to improve to 6-8 on the year in the circle.
- Sabrina Carreira's (West Hartford, Conn.) first inning walk for the AMCats proved to be the only baserunner allowed by Kieselback to break up a perfect-game bid.
- Amanda Lemire (Methuen, Mass.) tossed well in defeat for Anna Maria, allowing six runs on nine hits while striking out one.
- Emmanuel stayed hot scoring three runs in the first to take control early. Junior first basemen Ashley Skey (Brookline, N.H.) connected on a two-RBI single to right before the Saints added a third run with the help of an AMCat miscue to go up 3-0.
- Burgos continued her AMCat assault with her second home run of the afternoon in the second inning, connecting on a two=run bomb to left to push the lead to 5-0.
- Junior outfielder Briana Ong (Coventry, R.I.) drove in the seventh Emmanuel run in the third with an RBI double to left center before Hoisl opened up the game with a three-run homer to left center to make it 10-0.
- Burgos combined with freshman Mikaela Montemagni (Chicopee, Mass.) for the complete game shutout. Burgos tossed three scoreless innings allowing just one hit while Montemagni closed the door throwing two innings of shutout relief.
- Kathryn Rendock (Winsor, Conn.) suffered the loss for the AMCats working 2 and 1/3 innings before getting the hook.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Burgos was a single shy of hitting for the cycle in Game 1.
- Sophomore Kerry Sendrick (Medway, Mass.) drew a career-high three walks in the Game 1 victory.
- Carreira collected the lone AMCat hit on the day, connecting on a single in the first inning of Game 2.
- Emmanuel returns to action tomorrow afternoon heading to Newton, Mass. to take on Lasell College in more GNAC action beginning at 3:00 PM.
- The AMCats are also back tomorrow when they host Elms College in non-conference play starting at 3:00 PM.