EAST BOSTON – The Suffolk softball team overcame a three-run deficit with a five-run fifth inning to take down Emmanuel, 6-3, in the doubleheader opener and in game two, the squad barreled three homers and Taylor Holmes was close to perfect as the Rams blanked Emmanuel, 6-0, to wrap up the GNAC twinbill Saturday afternoon at East Boston Memorial Park.
SCORE: Suffolk 6, Emmanuel 0
RECORDS: Suffolk (18-6, 11-1 GNAC) | Emmanuel (12-13, 5-7 GNAC)
HOW IT HAPPENED (GM 1)
A three-RBI homer from Ashley Skey gave Emmanuel a three-run in the third. Delaney Sylvester responded with a solo shot in the home half of the fourth, but the Rams could not rally around the dinger to remain in a two-run hole after four frames.
Suffolk made its move in the fifth. Madison Eucalitto opened things up with a single, Payton Sylvester followed with a doubled and a successful bunt by Sydney Littlefield juiced the bags. One out later, Jaclyn Flint tied the ball game with a two-RBI single, before Ashley Zulla drew a walk with the bases loaded for the go-ahead run. The Saints secured the second out of the frame with the forced play at home, before an error by Emmanuel's second baseman let in a pair of runs to give Suffolk a 6-3 advantage.
Payton Sylvester served up a three-up, three-down sixth-inning to the Saints and the Rams defense backed up the Rams' rookie in the seventh to hold on to the 6-3 conference victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GM 2)
Suffolk broke open a scoreless game in the bottom of the third. Payton Sylvester led off with a single through the left side and advanced to third on Devlin Frost's double to right center. Payton Sylvester tagged up on Jaclyn Flint's foul out to left field to put the first run on the board. Back-to-back bombs from Delaney Sylvester and Ashley Zulla gave the hosts a four-run lead.
Two innings later, Delaney Sylvester homered for the second time on the day, this time bringing Jaclyn Flint in with her to stretch Suffolk's cushion to six after five complete innings.
Taylor Holmes sat down the Saints in order in the sixth and let up just one base runner on a walk in the seventh to seal the shutout.
- Payton Sylvester (5-3) dealt a three-run, five-hit, 11-strikeout complete-game victory.
- Megan Kieselback gave up six runs, four earned, on eight hits and a trio of walks with five strikeouts.
- Holmes kept her unbeaten record in tact as the senior twirler put together a complete-game, one-hit, one-walk, six-strikeout day.
- Olivia Burgos (6-4) let up six runs on nine hits and struck out five on the rubber for the Saints.
- Payton Sylvester also shined at the plate for Suffolk with the freshman picking up a pair of hits, including one double, to score one run.
- Zulla put together a 2-for-2 effort with one double, one RBI and one run scored.
- Eucalitto completed the multi-hit performers for the blue-and-gold as the senior struck for a pair of hits and scored one run.
- Delaney Sylvester's lone hit of the afternoon went over the fence with the senior scoring one run and one RBI.
- Flint's only hit of the outing brought in the tying run as the junior earned a pair of RBI for the junior.
- Four different Rams had two hit outings in game two.
- Delaney Sylvester led the quartet with multiple hits as the senior catcher went 2-for-3 with both of her hits going over the fence for four RBI and two runs scored.
- One of Zulla's two hits was good for four bases, while the sophomore recorded one RBI and one run scored.
- Flint had a pair of singles with one RBI and one run.
- Payton Sylvester rounded out the foursome with two hits with the freshman contributing one run as well.
- Suffolk won its third straight game versus Emmanuel to improve to 42-20 all-time versus the Saints.
- The Rams opened their league schedule 11-1, marking the best start to conference contests since going 12-1 in 2016.
- Suffolk stretched its win streak to 13 straight, the most consecutive victories in a row since combining 16 triumphs together April 1-16, 2015.
- Payton Sylvester sat down a career-high 11 batters. The 11 Ks are the most by a Suffolk pitcher since Sarah Chasse fanned 12 versus Johnson State March 23, 2014.
- Payton Sylvester's pair of doubles are a personal-best for the freshman.
- Delaney Sylvester went yard twice in one game for the first time this season and time in her career.
- Suffolk caps off its 10-game homestand tomorrow, Sunday, April 16 against Saint Joseph (Conn.). Game time at East Boston Memorial Park is scheduled to begin at noon.
- Emmaunel hosts Regis College at Roberto Clemente Field tomorrow in another GNAC twinbill scheduled for a 12:00 PM start.
*Release courtesy of Suffolk University Sports Information