Score: Norwich University, 1; Emmanuel College, 10
Norwich University, 1; Emmanuel College, 9
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (8-5, 3-1 GNAC)
Norwich University Cadets (0-4, 0-2 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Tuesday, March 27, 2018
THE LEAD: Strong pitching and a combined five home runs powered the Emmanuel College softball team to a Great Northeast Athletic Conference doubleheader sweep over Norwich University Tuesday evening at Roberto Clemente Field. The Saints cruised to a 10-1 win in game one before posting a 9-1 win in game two.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GM 1
- Junior shortstop Audrey Esakoff (Ventura, Calif.) led off the top of the first with a home run to left center to jumpstart the Saints offensive show and later in the frame rookie outfielder Megan Long (Smithfield, R.I.) belted a two-run blast to left center to bump the lead to 3-0.
- Junior Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) made it 5-0 with a two-RBI double down the left field line in the fourth.
- Emmanuel picked up two more in the fifth to account for a 7-0 score on a solo home run by junior catcher Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.) and an unearned run.
- The Cadets got on the board in the top of the sixth on a squeeze bunt by Emily Oliver to plate Naomi Rinaldo making it 7-1.
- After plating another unearned run in the bottom of the frame to make it 8-1, Long crushed her second two-run shot of the game to lift the Saints to the 10-1 walk off win.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GM 2
- The Saints put up five runs in the opening frame capped by a grand slam home run to centerfield by freshman Kaitlin Bouchard (South Portland, Maine).
- EC added to the lead in the second with three runs to make it 8-0 fueled by a two-RBI double by Burgos.
- The Cadets got one back in the third as Sarah Perry doubled down the left field line and came around to score on a wild pitch to account for an 8-1 score.
- Emmanuel walked off with the win in the fifth on an RBI single up the middle by freshman second baseman Megan Price (Corning, N.Y.) for the 9-1 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior pitcher Megan Kieselback (Wethersfield, Conn.) earned the Game 1 win scattering six hits over six innings, allowing just one run while recording eight strikeouts.
- Burgos earned the Game 2 win surrendering just three hits over five innings while striking out six.
- Oliver and Perry each suffered losses in the circle for the Cadets, each falling to 0-2 on the year.
- Perry, Makenna Wade and Madelyn Folcik each recorded a hit in both games for Norwich.
- Emmanuel turns around for another doubleheader tomorrow afternoon heading across the city to take on Emerson College in non-conference action at 5:00 PM.
- Norwich is set to host Rivier University on Thursday afternoon in GNAC action with the first pitch at 1:00 PM.