Score: University of Pitt-Greensburg, 3; Emmanuel College, 12 (5 innings)
Records: University of Pitt-Greensburg Bobcats (3-7); Emmanuel College Saints (5-4)
Location: Clermont, Fla. – Hancock Park
Date: Friday, March 9, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College softball team exploded for 16 hits to help lift the Saints to a 12-3 victory over University of Pitt-Greensburg on Friday evening in Day Five action of the NTC Spring Games at Hancock Park.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel opened the game by plating six runs in the bottom of the first to take control of the game from the start.
- Junior starting pitcher Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) got the scoring started with an RBI bunt single before freshman outfielder Megan Long (Smithfield, R.I.) made it 3-0 with a two-RBI single up the middle.
- An RBI groundout by freshman second baseman Meaghan Price (Corning, N.Y.) bumped the score to 4-0 before freshman third baseman Emily Blanchard (Sturbridge, Mass.) doubled down the left field line to drive in the fifth Emmanuel run.
- Junior outfielder Briana Ong (Coventry, R.I.) collected her first of three hits on the game with a single up the middle to account for the 6-0 score.
- In the third inning, Burgos helped her cause in the circle with another RBI on a sacrifice fly to right to make it 7-0.
- The Bobcats got on the board in the fifth scoring their first run on a wild pitch to cut the lead to 7-1.
- Later in the frame, Jen Miller (Butler, Pa.) collected a two-RBI single to left field to give Pitt-Greensburg some hope to make it a 7-3 game.
- In the bottom half of the fifth, an RBI fielder's choice by Burgos made it 8-3 before junior catcher Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.) made it 9-3 with an RBI single to left.
- Sophomore designated player Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (South Boston, Mass.) gave the Saints a walk-off win with a towering home run to left center field to end the game early with a 12-3 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Burgos finished the game going 2-for-3 at the plate with three RBI while tossing four scoreless innings in the circle to pick up the win and improve to 2-0 on the year.
- Freshman Mikaela Montemagni (Chicopee, Mass.) tossed the final inning for Emmanuel.
- Ong collected her first career three-hit game and ended the week batting .636 at the plate, hitting safely in all four games she appeared at the plate.
- Calle Zmenkowski (Pittsburgh, Pa.) suffered the loss for the Bobcats going the distance surrendering all 12 runs to fall to 1-4 on the year.
- Emmanuel closes the Florida trip with a 5-4 record to mark just the third time in program history that the softball program has returned from a Spring Break trip with an above .500 winning percentage.
- EC is idle until Wednesday, March 21 when they head across the city to take on Emerson College in a twinbill at Rotch Playground scheduled for 5:00 PM.
- Pitt-Greensburg returns to action on Tuesday, March 20 when they host Chatham University in a doubleheader scheduled to begin at 3:00 PM.