Score: College of Saint Elizabeth, 0; Emmanuel College, 1
Records: College of Saint Elizabeth Eagles (3-3); Emmanuel College Saints (3-2)
Location: Leesburg, Fla. – Sleepy Hollow Complex
Date: Wednesday, March 7, 2018
THE LEAD: Junior pitcher Olivia Burgos (Newington, Conn.) threw another complete-game shutout for the Emmanuel softball team in a 1-0 victory over the College of Saint Elizabeth Wednesday morning in Day Three action of the NTC Spring Games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After retiring the side in order in the first, the Saints gave Burgos the only run she'd need in the top of the second inning to take a 1-0 lead.
- Freshman designated player Kaitlin Bouchard (South Portland, Maine) reached on an error to open the inning and was replaced by classmate Emily Blanchard (Sturbridge, Mass.) on the bases.
- Blanchard advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by freshman right fielder Megan Long (Smithfield, R.I.) and moved over to third on a wild pitch.
- Junior left fielder Briana Ong (Coventry, R.I.) drove in the game's only run with an RBI single to center, plating Blanchard to give EC the 1-0 cushion.
- The Eagles got two hits in the third inning on singles by Alyssa Hampton (Manchester, N.J.) and Genesis Sanchez (Camden, N.J.) but one of the runners was thrown out by EC junior catcher Casey Sheehan (Medway, Mass.) trying to steal second.
- Burgos surrendered a two-out double to Maria Goodman (Willingboro, N.J.) in the fourth before retiring the final 10 batters she faced to earn the win and improve to 1-0 on the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Long ended the game going 2-for-2 while Ong and sophomore Sarah Hoisl (West Hartford, Conn.) had the other Emmanuel hits.
- Alyssa Vega (Elizabeth, N.J.) pitched well in defeat for the Eagles, going the distance and allowing just the one unearned run while striking out four.
- The complete-game shutout was the second of the day and third of the young season for Emmanuel as the team currently boasts a 1.83 ERA through five games.
- Burgos also threw a complete-game shutout her freshman seasons against Mount Ida College on April 16, 2016.
- Both teams return to action tomorrow as Emmanuel takes on North Central (MN) at 11:00 AM while the Eagles play University of Pitt. Greensburg at 4:30 PM.