Scores: Emmanuel College, 1; Johnson & Wales University, 2
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (6-8, GNAC 5-3)
Johnson & Wales Wildcats (10-5, GNAC 8-0)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Tuesday, October 15, 2019
THE LEAD: The Johnson & Wales women's soccer team remains unbeaten in conference play, led by junior midfielder Olivia Cairrao (Bristol, R.I), after a hard fought battle against the Emmanuel College Saints on Tuesday evening at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Wildcats struck early in the match, finding the back of the net less than four minutes into the game as Cat Nolan (Center Moriches, N.Y.) collected her fourth goal of the season after teammates Olivia Cairrao (Bristol, R.I) and Molly McCormack (Livingston, N.J.) got the ball into the box to command an early lead, 1-0.
- EC came close to scoring soon thereafter as junior Paige White (Guilford, Conn.) attacked the right side of the field to cross towards the net, but JWU's goalie Colleen Lynch (New Milford, Conn.) recorded her first save of the day, holding the lead 1-0.
- Neither team was able to compose the offense through the end of the first period and into the second, but the Wildcats scored again twenty-two minutes into the second as Cairrao recorded her sixteenth goal of her season, assisted by Chloe Henriksen (Stratham, N.H.), 2-0.
- After marching down the field with only six and a half minutes left in regulation, EC's offense was sparked as Sydney Allen (Charlestown, R.I) headed the ball past Lynch off of a corner kick by teammate Kennedy Davignon (Woodstock, Conn.) to cut the lead, 2-1.
- Despite a collective attack by the Saints, the Wildcats were able to hold on to the 2-1 lead through regulation to remain unbeaten in Great Northeast Athletic Conference play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Wildcats won the evening in every offensive category, including an 11-5 shots on goal discrepancy.
- Goalkeeper Lynch recorded four saves in her ninth victory of the year, while senior Lexi Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) recorded three save for the Saints.
- EC will host a men's and women's double header on Saturday, October 19th, with the women facing Colby-Sawyer College at 3 PM.
- The Wildcats will be back at home on Saturday, October 19th for a GNAC matchup against the Raiders of Rivier University.