Emmanuel College, 3; Suffolk University, 0
Emmanuel College Saints (5-6, 4-1 GNAC)
Suffolk University Rams (6-3, 4-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Saturday, October 5, 2019
THE LEAD: Three first half goals over the span of 10 minutes lifted the Emmanuel College women's soccer team past Suffolk University, 3-0, Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After scoring her first collegiate goal on Wednesday, junior Hannah Sheskey (Scituate, Mass.) got the scoring started with her second goal in as many games to put EC on top, 1-0, at the 20:00 minute marker. The winger took advantage of a poor clearance by the Suffolk backline and hit a one-time shot into the back of the frame to give Emmanuel the lead for good.
- Just 2:31 later (22:31), senior back Kaylin Deschenes (Lynn, Mass.) made it 2-0, finishing a direct kick into the upper third of the net from just outside the Ram's penalty area for her first goal of the season.
- The Saints added a third goal at 29:47 when junior winger Paige White (Guilford, Conn.) found sophomore Kennedy Davignon (Woodstock, Conn.) in a dangerous area and Davignon chipped home her second goal of the year to account for a 3-0 lead midway through the first half.
- The host's backline made the three goals stand up, limiting the amount of dangerous scoring chances for the visitors.
- The Rams managed to outshoot the Saints in the second half, 7-6, but EC was freshman keeper Alyssa Crugnale (Middleton, Mass.) preserved the shutout by making five saves on the afternoon to improve to 2-0 on the year in goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The shutout was the first career clean sheet for Crugnale and the second straight for the program.
- Emmanuel outshot Suffolk 17-10 in the win while the Rams edged the Saints in corner kicks, 4-3.
- Sophomore Allison Rodrigues (North Andover, Mass.) made five saves in net for Suffolk, falling to 6-3 on the season.
- Emmanuel is now 12-2 all-time against Suffolk, with wins in nine of the last ten meetings.
- The Saints return to action on Tuesday, October 8 when they travel to Brighton, Mass. to take on Fenway neighbor Simmons University at 4:00 PM in more GNAC action.
- Suffolk is back on Wednesday when they host Lasell University at 7:00 PM in another GNAC battle.