Score: Emmanuel College, 4 vs. Norwich University, 1
Records: Emmanuel Saints (2-5, 1-1 GNAC)
Location: Sabine Field - Northfield, Vt.
Date: Saturday, September 21, 2019
THE LEAD: Senior forward Natalie Dash (East Hampton, Conn.) notched her first career hat-trick to power the Emmanuel College women's soccer team past Norwich University, 4-1, Saturday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference at Sabine Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Dash opened the scoring with her fourth tally of the season 19:13 into the action, finishing a through ball played to her by senior midfielder Abigale McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) to give Emmanuel the 1-0 lead.
- With just 11 seconds to play in the opening stanza, Dash lifted the Saints to a 2-0 cushion with her fifth goal of the 2019 campaign to beat the halftime buzzer. Freshman Catherine Manning (Peabody, Mass.) set up Dash with her first collegiate assist and point, playing a ball centrally into the box before the senior captain buried her second of the night to the low right hand corner of the goal
- Norwich regrouped at the break to cut the lead in half to 2-1 just 4:17 into the second half when sophomore forward Karyssa Lachance (Gorham, N.H.) buried her fourth goal of the season with a left-footed strike from 25 yards out to beat EC rookie keeper Alyssa Crugnale (Middleton, Mass.) in the upper left hand corner of the goal.
- The Saints answered just seven minutes later to regain a two-goal advantage at the 56:12 marker off a corner. Junior midfielder Sydney Allen (Charlestown, R.I.) delivered the kick into the Cadet's penalty area to find sophomore Bailey Maurer (Florence, Mass.) who flicked home her first goal of the season to make it 3-1.
- Dash deposited her third goal of the evening in the 73rd minute of play to add some insurance for Emmanuel, taking a long through ball on the right side of the pitch from Allen in for the score.
- EC held the Cadets at bay over the final 17 minutes of action, not allowing a shot attempt to secure the 4-1 GNAC road win.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Saints outshot the Norwich by a 15-9 margin and owned a 5-1 advantage on corner kicks.
- Crugnale made four saves to earn her first collegiate victory in net to move to 1-0 on the year.
- NU sophomore keeper Kim Watt (Lindhurst, N.H.) tallied seven saves and falls to 2-5 in the pipes.
- Emmanuel has won the last seven meetings between the Cadets.
- Dash's hat trick marks the first game of the year that an Emmanuel player has scored multiple goals in a game.
- The Saints return to action on Wednesday, September 25 when they play host to Saint Joseph's College (ME) at 7:00 PM at Roberto Clemente Field.
- Norwich is also back on the field on Wednesday, September 25 hosting Colby-Sawyer College at 7:00 PM in more GNAC action.