Emmanuel College, 2; Castleton University, 4
Emmanuel College Saints (1-2)
Castleton University Spartans (2-2)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Saturday, September 7, 2019
THE LEAD: Junior Rylee Nichols collected five points on two goals and one assist while senior Makenzi Bellando dished out three helpers to lead Castleton University over host Emmanuel College, 4-2, in non-conference women's soccer action on Saturday afternoon at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nichols opened the scoring at the 6:49 mark from Bellando to give Castleton a 1-0 cushion before junior Julia Carone doubled the Spartan lead just 2:49 later, again assisted by Bellando.
- The Saints settled down after an emotional start and had a two quality looks late in the frame by freshman forward Melissa Beatty (Branford, Conn.) but both were denied by Spartan keeper Loren Henderson.
- EC senior Natalie Dash (East Hampton, Conn.) cut the lead in half to make it a 2-1 contest during the 52nd minute of play, Beatty registering the assist.
- The Saints could not capitalize the momentum as Castleton answered less than two minutes later on Nichols second goal of the afternoon, again assisted by Bellando to bump the margin back to two-goals at 3-1.
- Julia Blanchard added an insurance goal, assisted by Nichols in the 70th minute of action to increase the visitor's lead to 4-1.
- Emmanuel wrapped up the afternoon's scoring as senior defender Taylor Rathbun (Sheffield, Mass.) connected on her first collegiate tally following a corner kick by sophomore Grace Sanpietro (South Easton, Mass.). Sanpietro played the ball towards the Spartan back post and Rathbun slipped it home to the near post to account for the 4-2 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- EC senior keeper Lexi Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) made 10 saves in the defeat while Henderson earned the win to improve to 2-2 overall making four saves.
- Castleton outshot the Saints by a 16-14 margin, the difference being 14 landed on frame for the Spartans compared to only six on net by the Saints.
- Each team attempted five corners on the afternoon while Emmanuel committed 11 fouls and received two yellow cards compared to 10 fouls and no cards for Castleton.
- Emmanuel has not won a home-opener at Clemente Field since the 2013 season when they topped Fitchburg State by a 3-2 score on Thursday, September 5, 2013.
- The Saints return to action on Tuesday, September 10 when they head to Keene, N.H. to take on Keene State College at 7:00 PM.
- Castleton is back on the pitch on Wednesday, September 11, travelling to MCLA for a 6:00 PM non-conference tilt.