Lasell College, 1; Emmanuel College, 2
Emmanuel College Saints (13-5, 9-3 GNAC)
Lasell College Lasers (12-5, 11-1 GNAC)
Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Wednesday, October 24, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College women's soccer team used two first half goal to stun Lasell College, 2-1, in the regular-season finale for both teams in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints got on the board during the 21st minute of play on Mikayla Guthrie's team-leading 14th goal of the season to take a 1-0 lead. Junior forward Natalie Dash (East Hampton, Conn.) threaded a through ball to the right wing and Guthrie cut the fired a shot to the far post the lofted into the back of the net to give the hosts the lead for good.
- Emmanuel wasted little time to make it a 2-0 game, scoring two minutes later to take control of the action. Sophomore midfielder Sydney Allen (Charlestown, R.I.) took a corner kick that found the head of junior back Kaylin Deschenes (Lynn, Mass.) before senior forward Kayla Generis (Wethersfield, Conn.) poked home her 10th goal of the campaign.
- The Saints defensive unit held the Lasers scoreless in the half to preserve the 2-0 lead heading into the break.
- The Lasers peppered the hosts in the second frame, putting the pressure on the back-four throughout the stanza and finally broke through in the 78th minutes to cut the lead in half at 2-1. Senior midfielder Erika Badger (Scituate, Mass.) found freshman forward Kaylee Contreras (Pawtucket, R.I.) on the right wing for her fourth goal of the year and second in as many games.
- Lasell had several good looks down the stretch but Emmanuel was able to thwart every attempt and hold on for the GNAC win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The win marks the first victory for Emmanuel over Lasell in regular-season play since 2007, the first year that the Lasers joined the GNAC, snapping a 13 match winless streak.
- The Saints are 7-0-0 in games that Guthrie has netted a goal in.
- Emmanuel keepers Lexi Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) and Kennedy Davignon (Woodstock, Conn.) split the action in net. Gawron made earned the win playing the first half and holding the Lasers scoreless while Davignon made several key saves in the second half to preserve the victory.
- Freshman keeper Angela Sanzari (North Haven, Conn.) suffered the loss for the Lasers falling to 9-5 on the year between the pipes.
- The match concludes the regular-season and both squads move on to postseason play beginning later this week. The Saints earn the No. 4 seed and play host to No. 5 Regis College while Lasell clinches the No. 1 seed and will host No. 8 University of Saint Joseph (CT). The games are both currently scheduled for Saturday afternoon.