Scores: Emmanuel College, 1; University of Saint Joseph, 2
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (8-4, 4-2 GNAC)
University of Saint Joseph's Blue Jays (4-5-1, 2-4-1 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Wednesday, October 3, 2018
THE LEAD: The Saints dropped their second conference game in a row, falling to the offensive play of Morgan Skoly (Vernon, Conn.) and Jenna Lentini (Middletown, Conn.) of the University of Saint Joseph's Blue Jays on Wednesday, October 3rd as in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints started the game with a quick shot on goal by junior Natalie Dash (East Hampton, Conn.) before the Blue Jays turned around just two minutes later with their own shot by Amanda Ghent (Portland, Conn.), neither finding the back of the net 0-0.
- USJ was able to attack due to a defensive breakdown by the Saints with two shots on goal, but the Saints were able to block one shot as a team and the other was saved by freshman goalie Kennedy Davignon (Woodstock, Conn.), 0-0.
- The Blue Jays were the first to strike when sophomore Lentini scored off of a corner kick by teammate Ariana Gazaferi (Southington, Conn.), going into the break1-0.
- The beginning of the second half came with little offense and plenty of fouls for both squads until USJ's Skoly was able to beat Davignon with eight minutes left in the half, assisted by Jessica Spezzano (Watertown, Conn.), 2-0.
- Within thirty seconds, senior captain Kayla Generis (Wethersfield, Conn.) put the Saints right back into the game with an unassisted goal in the box, 2-1.
- Both squads battled for the last seven minutes of play, with both teams getting a shot on goal, but neither were able to connect leading the Blue Jays to a 2-1 win over the Saints.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- USJ was able to outshoot the Saints 12-10, with the Blue Jays junior goalkeeper Megan Ricci (Center Moriches, N.Y.) recording five saves and Davignon recording six of her own.
- The Blue Jays were able to squeak out a win against the Saints for the first time since 2012.
- EC heads back on the road on Saturday, October 6th for a 3:30 PM matchup against newly added GNAC opponent Colby-Sawyer College.
- The Blue Jays look to stay in the winning column on Saturday, October 6th at 12:00 PM in a GNAC matchup against Rivier University at home.