Scores: Emmanuel College, 5; Norwich University, 0
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (7-2, 3-0 GNAC)
Norwich University Cadets (6-2, 3-2 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Saturday, September 22, 2018
THE LEAD: The Saints were able to score five goals on the afternoon, two of which were scored by senior captain Mikayla Guthrie (North Andover, Mass.), while also holding the Norwich University Cadets to zero shots on goal on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Only eight and a half minutes in the first half, Emmanuel's senior forward Guthrie scored her ninth goal of the year off of a corner kick from sophomore midfielder Emma Johnson (Ellington, Conn.), 1-0.
- Guthrie connected again for her second goal of the game off of a rebounded ball on the right side, shot by freshman midfielder Bailey Maurer (Florence, Mass.), to take the Saints ahead, 2-0.
- The Saints continued their defensive hold, allowing no shots on goal for the first half, going into the break up 2-0.
- Junior forward Natalie Dash (East Hampton, Conn) was able to put the third ball into net for the Saints, scoring off of a corner kick by Johnson, her second assist of the day, taking the Saints ahead, 3-0.
- On a breakaway, Dash was able to find junior midfielder Abba McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) in the box to put the fourth goal in net for the Saints, 4-0.
- Freshman midfielder Hannah Sullivan (Vernon, Conn.) was able to get the ball wide before making a pass to junior forward Olivia Collins (Douglas, Mass.), who converted a breakaway to put account for the 5-0 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- For the second game in a row, the Saints held a strong defensive front and did not allow any shots on goal
- Natalie Dash was able to score again for the Saints, continuing her streak of eight games in a row with a goal. The last Emmanuel women's soccer player to score in eight consecutive games was Amber (DiNucci) Slone '11 who achieved the feat during the 2007 campaign.
- Mikayla Guthrie led the Saints with two goals and an assist on the afternoon, her third multi-goal match of the year.
- The Saints return to action on the road against GNAC rival Regis College on Wednesday, September 26th at 7PM.
- The Norwich Cadets also return to play on Wednesday, September 26th at 4:00PM at home against Saint Joseph's College Maine for a GNAC conference match.