Scores: Emmanuel College, 3; Wentworth Institute of Technology, 2
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (1-0-1)
Wentworth Institute of Technology Leopard (0-2-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Tuesday, September 4, 2018
THE LEAD: After falling behind within the first two minutes of play, the Emmanuel College Women's Soccer team came from behind twice to record the first win of the season, led by goals from sophomore Sydney Allen (Charlestown, R.I.), junior Natalie Dash (East Hampton, Conn.) and sophomore Paige White (Guilford, Conn.), Tuesday night in non-conference action against Wentworth Institute of Technology at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Leopards were able to win a quick midfield ball within the first two minutes of play, pushing their offense back into the box as junior Jess Poratti (Essex Junction, Vt.) found the back of the net on an unassisted goal to take a quick lead, 1-0.
- Emmanuel controlled the offensive attack for the next twenty minutes of play, outshooting Wentworth 5-3, before the Saints were able to score off of a deflected corner by sophomore Allen tying the game 1-1.
- Wentworth was able to put two more shots on goal before the end of the half, but junior goalkeeper Lexi Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) saved both shots to go into break tied, 1-1.
- The second half of play began with a pair of yellow cards, one for each team, before Wentworth broke the tie on a breakaway goal by Poratti, 2-1.
- The Saints continued to push on offense as Dash recorded her first goal of the season off of a corner kick, assisted by Allen, tying the game back at two apiece.
- White was able to close out the game for the Saints, recording her second goal of the season off of a rebound shot by sophomore defender Rachel Prevost (Tewksbury, Mass), 3-2.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Leopards were able to record two goals on the night, neither of which were assisted while the Saints recorded two assists on the three goals.
- Gawron recorded five saves in her first victory of the year, while sophomore Allison Haynes (Shelton, Conn.) recorded four saves in her second loss, 0-2-1.
- For the first time since 2012, the Emmanuel College Saints recorded a win against Colleges of the Fenway foe WIT.
- The Saints return to action on Thursday, September 6th when they host non-conference opponent Dean College at 7:00 PM at Roberto Clemente Field.
- WIT will be back on the road for the New England College Tournament on Friday, September 7th when they face the University of Maine – Farmington at 3:30 PM.