THE LEAD: Despite a first period goal by sophomore forward Paige White (Guilford, Conn.), the Saints were not able to hold on to the lead as Emerson College's senior forward Jess Frost (Palos Verdes Estates, Calif.), scored both goals for the Lions, 2-1, Friday night in overtime non-conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With a slow offensive start for both squads, Emmanuel was the first to break into the shots on goal column as White scored on a through ball on the right side, assisted by senior forward Mikayla Guthrie (North Andover, Mass.), 1-0.
- The Lions controlled the ball for the next twelve minutes, recording two shots on goal by Elizabeth Noble (Long Beach, Calif.) and Kira Venturini (Wallingford, Penn.), both saved by Emmanuel's goalkeeper Lexi Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.).
- Neither team was able to put another score in net before the end of the period, with Emmanuel ahead, 1-0.
- Coming out of the break, Emerson was on the attack with four shots on goal within the first twelve minutes of play, finally breaking through with a goal by Frost, assisted by sophomore forward Amanda Menavente (Boca Raton, Flor.), 1-1.
- Both teams recorded four shots on goal in the remaining time of the second period, but neither team was able to score, closing out regulation 1-1.
- With only three minutes remaining in overtime, Frost scored her second goal of the night with a dime from outside of the box to close out the game for the Lions, 2-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emerson was able to produce eight shots on goal, while the Saints were only able to record five of their own.
- Gawron recorded six saves on the night while falling to 0-1 on the year, while Benavente recorded four saves in her first win, 1-0.
- For the fourth year in a row, Emmanuel College lost their season opener while Emerson College broke into the win column in their first matchup for the first time since 2016.
- The Saints return to action on Tuesday, September 4 when they host College of the Fenway rival Wentworth Institute of Technology at 7:00 PM at Roberto Clemente Field.
- Emerson will be back on the road Sunday, September 2 when they play Regis College at 6:00 PM.