Score: Emmanuel College, 2; Suffolk University, 0
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (9-6-1, 7-1-1 GNAC); Suffolk University Rams (6-7, 4-6 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Wednesday, October 18, 2017
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College women's soccer team posted a 2-0 victory over Suffolk University Wednesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Following 33 minutes of scoreless action, Emmanuel sophomore midfielder Megan Mastrangelo (Hopkinton, Mass.) got the hosts on the board with her first collegiate tally to put the Saints ahead, 1-0.
- The score remained at 1-0 heading into the break with EC outshooting the Rams 7-4 midway through the action.
- Emmanuel picked up its defensive pressure in the second stanza, holding Suffolk to just two shots in the half to keep them at bay.
- The Saints added a big insurance goal during the 82nd minute of play when sophomore Kaylin Deschenes (Lynn, Mass.) played a cross from the right side of the box to junior forward Kayla Generis (Wethersfield, Conn.). Generis redirected the cross to the opposite corner of the net for her seventh goal of the campaign to seal the 2-0 win for Emmanuel.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Saints owned a 16-6 advantage in total shots while both squads attempted two corner kicks.
- Suffolk senior midfielder Jennifer Martin (Higganum, Conn.) led all players with five shot attempts, landing four on frame for the Rams.
- Emmanuel had three other good scoring opportunities during the action that all hit the post.
- Sophomore keeper Alexis Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) earned the shutout win for the Saints making five saves over the 90 minutes to improve to 5-4 on the year between the pipes while notching her second shutout of the season.
- Suffolk sophomore keeper Julia Fieldsend (Exeter, N.H.) made five saves in the loss and falls to 5-5 on the year.
- The Saints return to action on Saturday, October 21 when they travel to West Hartford, Conn. to take on University of Saint Joseph in a 1:00 PM GNAC contest.
- Suffolk is also back on Saturday, October 21 travelling to Saint Joseph's College (ME) for an 11:00 AM GNAC affair.