Score: Emmanuel 0, Roger Williams, 3
Records: Emmanuel Saints (3-5-1); Roger Williams Hawks (3-4-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Clemente Field
Date: Thursday, September 21, 2017
The Lead: Roger Williams University scored twice in the opening seven minutes and once again in the opening minute of the second half to power past host Emmanuel College, 3-0, Thursday evening in non-conference women's soccer action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RWU sophomore midfielder Alli Santacroce (Burlington, Conn.) connected on a direct kick following an Emmanuel hand ball just outside the 18-yard box to put the visitors on top just 2:02 into the game.
- In the seventh minute of play, Roger Williams senior midfielder Kasey Provost (Peabody, Mass.) made it 2-0, scoring her first goal of the season with the help of an assist from senior midfielder Samantha Woznicki (Bristol, Conn.).
- Following the early flurry, the Saints defensive unit settled down and only allowed two additional shots the remainder of the half to keep it a 2-0 game heading into the break.
- The Hawks came out firing in the second stanza, scoring 42 seconds into the half on the first goal of the season from junior forward Raleigh LeMiere-Barnes (Los Angeles, Calif.) to account for the 3-0 score.
- The Saints attempted their only two shots in the game later in the half as sophomores Kaylin Deschenes (Lynn, Mass.) and Kyle Rice (Bethlehem, Conn.) fired attempts for the hosts.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- RWU outshot the Saints 14-2 on the evening
- The loss is the first for the Saints since September 7 when they fell to #20 MIT
- Senior goalie Natalie O'Donovan (Quincy, Mass.) made one save in net for the Hawks to pick up the win and improve to 2-3-1
- Emmanuel senior Victoria LaRoche (Hudson, N.H.) suffered the loss for the Saints, making one save while sophomore Alexis Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) made two saves in net playing the second frame for EC.
- The Saints return to action on Saturday for a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) match-up against Norwich University, scheduled for a 6:30 PM kick off in Northfield, Vt.
- Roger Williams is also back on Saturday, hosting Endicott College at 3:00 PM in a Coastal Commonwealth Conference (CCC) affair.