Scores: Emmanuel, 17 | University of St. Joseph (CT), 10
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (4-3, 3-1 GNAC); University of St. Joseph Blue Jays (2-7, 0-6 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass.- Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Saturday March 30, 2019
The Emmanuel College women's lacrosse team defeated University of St. Joseph (CT) 17-10 on Saturday at Roberto Clemente field en route to a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Freshman Jenna Banta (Montville, Conn.) got things started for the Blue Jays scoring the first goal of the game at the 29:37 mark to put the visitors up 1-0.
- Less than a minute later, junior Kylie Rice (Bethlehem, Conn.) scored the first goal of the game for the Saints off an assist from Allison Hutchings (Billerica, Mass.) to even the score 1-1.
- Hutchings then scored her 20th goal of the season which prompted a 4-0 run that put the Saints up 5-1 at the 26:27 mark.
- Junior Charlotte Eberhardt (Thomaston, Conn.) closed the gap for USJ, 5-2, on her first goal of the game but the Saints responded with another goal from sophomore Emily Saef (Moultonborough, N.H), 6-2.
- Each team was able to extend their scores by two, 8-4, before the Saints netted two to end the first half 10-4.
- In back and forth action, each team netted three goals in the first nine minutes of the second half, 13-7.
- After seven unanswered minutes, freshman Taya Valdez (East Lyme, Conn.) scored two consecutive goals for the Blue Jays to shrink the gap to 13-9.
- Saef scored her fifth goal of the game at the 8:21 mark and followed up with an assist to Hutchings to extend the Saints' lead 15-9.
- The Saints scored two more goals and USJ scored one before time expired for the Saints' victory, 17-10.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Saef finished with a game-high six goals while adding an assist in the win.
- Rice finished with three goals and three assists and now has 99 career points needing just one more to become the eighth player in Emmanuel program history to reach the 100 point plateau.
- Senior goalie Bethany Bonilla-Colon (Milton, Mass.) improved to 4-3 in net with the win making 10 saves.
- Emmanuel College returns to action on Monday, April 1 when they take on Regis College at home.
- USJ is on the road on Saturday, April 6 to face Rivier University at Central Connecticut State University.