Scores: Emerson College, 23; Bay Path College, 3
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (3-1, 2-1 GNAC)
Bay Path College Wildcats (0-2, 0-0 NECC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Tuesday, March 19, 2019
THE LEAD: Sophomore attack Emily Saef (Moultonborough, N.H.) scored a game-high seven goals to power the Emmanuel College women's lacrosse team past Bay Path College, 23-3, Tuesday evening in non-conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel scored early and often, leading 4-0 in the opening five minutes of play.
- The Saints netted the game's first 11 goals to command the 11-0 lead following a score by Saef with 7:09 to play in the first half.
- Bath Path got on the board with 5:57 remaining in the frame on a score by Samantha Rubacha (Feeding Hills, Mass.) to make it 11-1.
- Saef answered with two more scores to bump the lead to 13-1 before Bay Path senior Megan McKenna (Bennington, Vt.) capped the half with her first goal of the year to make it 13-2 heading into halftime.
- EC added to the lead with five goals to open the second stanza with scores by Elizabeth Fortier (Newburyport, Mass.), Jessica Borduas (Woodbury, Conn.), Allison Hutchings (Billerica, Mass.), Kylie Rice (Bethlehem, Conn.) and Olivia Mahoney (Leominster, Mas.) to make it 18-2.
- McKenna netted her second goal of the night to get one more for Bay Path at the 12:39 marker to change the score to 18-3.
- The Saints ended the game with five consecutive scores to account for the 23-3 final as Katelyn Hunter (South Windsor, Conn.), Chandra Franca (Woburn, Mass.), Aisling Butler (Westfield, Mass.), Olivia Marcello (Warwick, R.I.) and Mahoney rounded out the scoring for Emmanuel.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Saef led all players with seven goals, all coming in the first half and added four draw control wins.
- Rice finished the night with six points on three goals and three assists while Hutchings added five points on two goals and three helpers.
- EC senior goalie Bethany Bonilla (Milton, Mass.) improved to 3-1 in net with the win, splitting time in net with junior Melanie Bruno (Middleton, Mass.)
- Emmanuel College alum Sophia White '18 is in her first year as Head Coach for the Bay Path women's lacrosse program. White was a former three-time GNAC All-Conference player at Emmanuel.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Thursday, March 21 when they head to Milton, Mass. to take on Curry College at 6:00 PM.
- Bay Path is back the next day on Friday, March 22 when they travel to Mass. Maritime Academy for a 7:00 PM tilt.