Scores: Simmons College, 10; Emmanuel College, 11
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (3-11, 3-7 GNAC)
Simmons College Sharks (8-8, 4-6 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2018
THE LEAD: Sophomore midfielder Kylie Rice (Bethlehem, Conn.) scored five goals to power the Emmanuel College women's lacrosse team over College of the Fenway foe Simmons College, 11-10, Tuesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sharks came out of the gate hot with four early game goals, two by junior midfielder Mallory Cottam (Hope, R.I.) and one a piece by Ana Giarrusso (Hingham, Mass.) and Kasey Fries (Bridgewater, Mass.) to take the lead, 0-4.
- Emmanuel began to storm back to come within one, as Rice scored two goals within three minutes and senior captain Avery Yang (Lincoln, R.I.) also scored a goal, 3-4.
- Simmons was able to score two more goals before the end of the half while Emmanuel was only able to score one on a free position shot by sophomore attack Allison Hutchings (Billerica, Mass.), closing out the half down 4-6.
- Both teams traded goals through the first 16 minutes of play before Emmanuel was able to string two in a row to tie the game, 8-8, thanks to goals by Alexandra Ford (Springfield, Mass.) and Rice.
- The Sharks were able to kill the momentum with a goal of their own on a free position shot by Molly Reinhold (Mystic, Conn.) to go up 8-9, before Ford and Rice scored back-to-back goals to take the lead, 10-9.
- With only 51 seconds left in the half, Hutchings was able to score an unassisted goal to push the Saints up by two, 11-9.
- The Saints were able to only allow one goal in the final nine minutes of play to take the game on senior day, 11-10.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Saints were able to outshoot the Sharks 39-27 and were also able to collect more ground balls, winning the battle 25-23.
- Emmanuel goalie Avery Yang (Lincoln, R.I.) turned away 6 of 10 shots in the win to improve to 1-3 on the year.
- Senior goalie Chyenne Yeager (Indiana, Pa.) let up two goals to earn the loss for the Sharks, falling to 2-2 on the year.
- Sophomore midfielder Rice scored five goals for the Saints, making that her second game in a row with five goals, only one shy of her season high six goals against Albertus Magnus College.
- Emmanuel wraps up its 2018 slate with an overall record of 3-11, failing to qualify for the GNAC tournament for the first time since the program's inaugural season in 2011.
- Simmons returns to action on Saturday, April 28 in the GNAC Quarterfinals.