Scores: Salem State University, 20; Emmanuel College, 5
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (2-9)
Salem State University Vikings (2-10)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Thursday, April 19, 2018
THE LEAD: The offensive attack of Salem State's Courtney Smith was too much for the Saints, as the Vikings came from a six point deficit to take the match, 15-13, on Thursday evening in non-conference women's lacrosse action at Roberto Clemente Field in Boston, Mass.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints started the game off with four straight goals, two by sophomore attack Allison Hutchings (Billerica, Mass.), and a goal apiece from Stephanie Warn (Hanson, Mass.) and Kylie Rice (Bethlemhem, Conn.), 4-0.
- Salem State was able to break the scoring run of the Saints with a goal by junior attack Chelsea Smith (Tewksbury, Mass.), 4-1, before the Saints scored the next three goals by Warn, Elizabeth Fortier (Newburyport, Mass.) to take the lead 7-1.
- The Vikings went on a 6-0 scoring run to close out the first half to tie the game going into break 7-7, led by two goals each by Courtney Smith (Peabody, Mass.) and Chelsea Smith.
- To begin the second half, both teams traded goals until Salem was able to pull away with a two goal lead on back to back goals by Courtney Smith, 10-12.
- Emmanuel was able to close the lead back to one on a goal by Rice, but Salem held on to the lead scoring two late game goals by Tara McLaughlin (Woburn, Mass.) and Courtney Smith, taking the game 13-15.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Both teams were almost identical in most offensive categories, with the Saints just outshooting the Vikings 34-32.
- Freshman goalie Gloria Gillen (East Bridgewater, Mass.) stopped ten shots to earn the victory for the Vikings.
- Emmanuel goalie Avery Yang (Lincoln, R.I.) turned away 11 of 23 shots in the loss to drop to 0-2 on the year.
- Senior attack Courtney Smith led the offense for the Vikings, scoring a game high five goals while Stephanie Warn of the Saints scored four goals and assisted on another.
- Salem State was able to capitalize on their free position shots 5-10 while the Saints only scored on one out of seven opportunities.
- Emmanuel is back in action on Saturday, April 21st in non-conference action against University of Massachusetts Dartmouth at 2 PM on Roberto Clemente Field.
- Salem State University also returns to action on Saturday, travelling to Framingham, Mass. to take on Framingham State in MASCAC action at 12 PM.