Score: Lasell College, 18; Emmanuel College, 6
Records: Lasell College Lasers (5-1, 2-0 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (0-3, 0-2 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Saturday, March 24, 2018
THE LEAD: Eight different players scored to power the Lasell College women's lacrosse team past host Emmanuel College, 18-6, Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference women's lacrosse action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lasers raced out to a quick 5-0 lead over the first eight minutes of play behind a pair of goals from senior midfielder Taylor Yandow (Moretown, Vt.) and freshman attack Kellie Matthews (Walpole, Mass.).
- Emmanuel got on the board at the 19:29 marker in the first half on a score from freshman Alexandra Ford (Springfield, Mass.) assisted by senior Avery Yang (Lincoln, R.I.) to make it 5-1.
- Lasell dominated the remainder of the opening stanza, scoring eight consecutive goals to close the half with a 13-1 lead. Yandow scored two more during the stretch while sophomore Sam Taylor (Hanover, Mass.) also netted two goals to close out the half.
- The Saints showed signs of life early in the second half as juniors Rachael Downey (Holliston, Mass.) and Andrea Liddell (Weymouth, Mass.) netted back-to-back goals to cut the Laser lead to 13-3 with 27:13 left to play.
- Lasell answered with five straight scores to build the lead up to 18-3 with just over 11 minutes remaining in regulation.
- The Saints closed the game strong, scoring three times over the final five minutes on goals by freshman Aisling Butler (Westfield, Mass.), sophomore Allison Hutchings (Billerica, Mass.) and senior Stephanie Warn (Hanson, Mass.) to account for the 18-6 final. The goal by Butler was her first collegiate tally.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Lasers owned a 28-16 advantage in shots on the afternoon.
- Lasell sophomore goalie Morgan Choquet (Woonsocket, R.I.) made seven saves in net to earn the win and improve to 5-1 between the pipes.
- Emmanuel goalie Riley Loomis (Goshen, Conn.) made six saves for the Saints in her first collegiate start in goal.
- Lasell junior attack Vanessa Pino (Methuen, Mass.) paced the Laser offense with a game-high six points on two goals and four assists while Taylor, Mandow and Matthews all finished the day with five points on four goals and one helper each.
- Ford paced the Saints with a team-best three points on one goal and two assits.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Tuesday, March 27th when they head to Newton, Mass. to take on Mount Ida College at 6:00 PM.
- Lasell also plays on Tuesday, March 27th when they head to Providence, R.I. to take on Johnson & Wales University at 6:00 PM.