Score: Norwich University, 13; Emmanuel College, 12
Records: Norwich University Cadets 1-1, 1-0 GNAC; Emmanuel College Saints 0-2, 0-1 GNAC
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Tuesday, March 20, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College women's lacrosse team was nearly able to overcome a five point deficit at the half, but the Norwich University Cadets squeaked by to close out the night with a win over the Saints, 13-12, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference matchup on Tuesday evening at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Cadets opened the game with five unanswered goals within the first eight minutes of play, two of which were scored by junior midfielder Kathryn Albretsen (Cotuit, Mass.), along with one goal apiece by Emily Schromm (North Attleboro, Mass.), Teresa Segreti (Salisbury, Mass.) and Olivia Bloom (Annapolis, Md).
- Down by five, the Saints began to close the gap when freshman attack Alexandra Ford (Springfield, Mass.) scored back to back goals for EC, closing the lead to 5-2 with 21:42 left in the half.
- Norwich was able to tally on four more goals to close out the half, while the Saints were only able to pick up another two, both by freshman Elizabeth Fortier (Newburyport, Mass.), heading into the break, 9-4.
- The Saints came out of half scoring four goals in a row, two from the stick of Avery Yang (Lincoln, R.I), to close the lead, 9-8.
- Albretsen scored her fourth goal of the evening to extend the lead back to two before Allison Hutchings (Billerica, Mass.) brought the Saints back to within one with 11:08 remaining in the game.
- Over the next six minutes of play, Norwich was able to extend the lead back to three off of back to back goals before the Saints were able to do the same to get within one, 12-11.
- In the last three minutes of play, the Cadets and Saints were both able to score, but the Cadets won a last minute draw control to run out the clock, taking the game 13-12.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Cadets outshot the Saints by a 34-27 margin as Albretsen attempted 14 shots for the Cadets, and Ford attempted seven shots for the Saints.
- The Saints were able to tally ten assists for their 12 goals, while Norwich only recorded three assists on the night.
- EC junior goalie Bethany Bonilla (Milton, Mass.) made 11 saves in the loss, and falls to 0-2 on the year.
- Sophomore keeper Lawson Hayes (Moorestown, N.J.) made six saves to improve to 1-1 in net for the Cadets.
- Emmanuel only has one day of rest before Salem State University arrives at Roberto Clemente field in non-conference play on Thursday, March 22nd at 7:00PM.
- Norwich will also be back in action on Thursday, March 22nd at 7:00PM as they take on Castleton in non-conference play at Sabine Field.