Score: Emmanuel College, 73; Norwich University, 43
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (14-4, 5-0 GNAC)
Norwich University Cadets (7-11, 2-4 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, January 42, 2019
THE LEAD: A strong defensive effort fueled the Emmanuel College women's basketball team past Norwich University, 73-43, Thursday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The squads traded leads for the first five minutes of play resulting in an 8-7 advantage for the hosts before senior Madison McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I.) connected on back-to-back triples to put Emmanuel ahead 14-7 with 3:25 to play in the frame.
- EC closed the first quarter on a 19-3 run to take a 23-10 lead into the second stanza.
- NU senior guard Emily Oliver (Sagamore Hills, Ohio) drilled a three to open the second and cut the Emmanuel lead to 10 (23-13) but the Saints responded with a 9-0 stretch to take control of the action at 32-13 with just over five minute to play in the half.
- Emmanuel owned a 40-20 lead heading into the break behind a 12-point half from McLaughlin, coming on four three-pointers.
- The Saints opened the third quarter with a quick 9-2 spurt to increase the lead to 49-22 forcing Norwich to burn a timeout with 7:25 left.
- It didn't get any easier for the Cadets as Emmanuel increased the lead to 58-30 heading into the final frame.
- The large lead proved to be enough to hold up as the Saints coasted to the 73-43 GNAC victory, improving to 5-0 in league play while notching their sixth straight win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emmanuel's bench ended the night outscoring the Norwich reserves by a +21 margin (35-14 ).
- McLaughlin finished the night with 15 points coming on 5-for-10 shooting from downtown while adding six assists.
- Freshman guard Molly deBettencourt (Oak Bluffs, Mass.) was also in double-figured for Emmanuel with 13 points
- Oliver paced the Cadets with 12 points while sophomore guard Riley Bennett (Hopkinton, N.H.) added nine points.
- The Saints also owned a 53-30 rebounding advantage in the win.
- Emmanuel is back in action on Saturday, January 26 playing host to Albertus Magnus College at 3:00 PM. Prior to the start of the contest, the EC Athletic Department will honor longtime Head Coach Andy Yosinoff with a ceremony to recognize his NCAA record-setting victory from earlier this season.
- The Cadets are idle until Thursday, January 31 when they head to Paxton, Mass. to face Anna Maria College at 6:00 PM.