Score: Emmanuel College, 93; Simmons University, 71
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (12-4, 3-0 GNAC)
Simmons University Sharks (4-12, 1-2 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, January 22, 2019
THE LEAD: Five players scored in double-figures for the second straight game to power the Emmanuel College women's basketball team past Simmons University, 93-71, Tuesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints jumped out to an 18-11 lead following a layup by junior guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) before Simmons put together an 8-0 run to pull ahead 19-18 with 1:19 left in the first quarter. The Sharks maintained the advantage through the stanza, leading 24-22 at the end of the quarter behind 11 points in the frame by sophomore guard Cassandra Stapelfeld (Brookline, N.H.).
- Emmanuel opened the second quarter with a 15-3 spurt fueled by four points apiece from freshman Riley Lahiff (Attleboro, Mass.) and Loredana D'Agostino (Broad Brook, Conn.) to take a 10-point lead at 37-27.
- EC outscored the Sharks 22-5 in the second to command a 44-29 lead heading into halftime behind 12 points from Weaver.
- Emmanuel owned a 19-3 advantage in bench points and also forced the Sharks into 13 first-half turnovers which resulted in 16 points on the board.
- Early in the third quarter, the Saints increased the lead to 20 points (51-31) following a steal and transition hoop by junior forward Caitlin Cipriano (Waterbury, Conn.).
- The Saints defensive pressure was too strong to allow a Sharks comeback at EC held on for the 93-71 GNAC victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (17) (Cambridge, Mass.), Weaver (16), D'Agostino (15), senior Madison McLaughlin (13) (Westerly, R.I.), and Lahiff (12) all finished in double-figures for Emmanuel.
- Ramirez-Tejeda added 10 rebounds and McLaughlin 13 assists for double-doubles.
- Stapelfeld finished the night with a game-high 27 points, shooting 6-for-12 from behind the arc.
- During the second quarter, the Saints held the Sharks scoreless for a stretch of over six minutes resulting in the 14-0 run that put the Saints on top for good.
- Emmanuel improves to 30-0 all-time against the Sharks.
- Emmanuel has a quick turnaround and returns to action on Thursday, January 24 playing host to Norwich University in a GNAC affair at 7:00 PM.
- The Sharks are also back in action on Thursday hosting No. 11 Saint Joseph's College (ME) at 7:00 PM in conference play.