Score: Regis College, 55; Emmanuel College, 80
Records: Regis College Pride (4-10, 0-2 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (9-4, 1-0 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, January 10, 2019
THE LEAD: In her tenth double-double of the season, junior guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda led the Saints to their first Great Northeast Athletic Conference victory on Thursday evening against the Regis College Pride with 27 points and 20 rebounds on the Andy Yosinoff Court at Emmanuel College.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams scored buckets to trade the lead early in the game before the Saints started to pull away as freshman Riley Lahiff (North Attleboro, Mass.) and junior Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) connected with the basket to close out the first quarter ahead, 21-13.
- The second period started with crippling defense by the Saints with a full court press and continued offense by Ramirez-Tejeda and senior guard Maddie McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I), 34-19, before the Pride started to close the gap with strong interior play by Taylor Iorfino (Monroe, Conn.) and Sam D'Angelo (Woburn, Mass.) to head into half-time down, 36-27.
- Senior forward Mary McCarthy (Scituate, Mass.) came out of the break dominating in the paint, scoring eight points on a perfect four shot attempts and forced a turnover by the Pride to help ignite the Saints to a third quarter push to extend the lead heading into the fourth quarter, 59-43.
- EC continued to work both inside the paint and beyond the arc with junior Caitlin Cipriano (Waterbury, Conn.) and freshman Molly deBettencourt (Oak Bluffs, Mass.) contributing to the Saints offense to help close out the Saints' first GNAC conference victory of the year, 80-55.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda led the evening for both teams with 27 points and was also able to tie her career-high rebounding performance with 20 boards.
- Nikki Bitinaitis (Cromwell, Conn.) led the Pride with 14 points with teammate Iorfino recording a double-double on the night with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
- For the Saints, five of the seven available reserves were able to come off the bench to score for EC while only one non-starter for the Pride scored on the evening.
- The Pride will be looking for their first GNAC victory on Saturday, January 12th at 1PM against the Norwich University Cadets.
- Emmanuel will be on the road on Saturday, January 12th for a GNAC contest against Anna Maria College at 12PM.