Score: University of Massachusetts - Boston, 80; Emmanuel College, 69
Records: UMass Boston Beacons (11-3); Emmanuel College Saints (8-4)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, January 8, 2019
THE LEAD: Five University of Massachusetts – Boston players were able to score double digits to beat the Emmanuel College Saints on the Andy Yosinoff Court on Tuesday evening, despite a 30 point and 13 rebound performance by junior guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.), 80-69.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- EC started off the game on a quick 9-3 run as senior guard Maddie McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I) capitalized on space behind the arc before the Beacons took the lead for the first time in the contest as Jalani Jackson (Brockton, Mass.) scored eight points in less than a minute, 11-9.
- UMass was able to keep the lead through the majority of the first period before the Saints were able to close the gap late in the period as Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) and Molly deBettencourt (Oak Bluffs, Mass.) connected with the basket to head into the second quarter down, 22-21.
- The game remained close through the first half of the quarter before Beacons started to pull away on a 9-0 run on made field goals by Jamie Staples (Amherst, Mass.) and Tahjai Mazyck (Hamden, Conn.) and continued to battle to pull away to a ten point lead going into the half, 43-33.
- The Saints continued to battle led by Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) through the third, but Jackson and Staples continued to knock down shots for the Beacons to go into the fourth quarter with a commanding 67-47 lead.
- Ramirez-Tejeda connected on an and-one to open the fourth quarter to spark the Saints and continued to push the offense with 13 fourth quarter points to close the gap to 73-65, but Jackson connected on a dagger from behind the arc with only 1:44 remaining in regulation to push the Beacons to a road victory, 80-69.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda led the evening for both teams with 30 points and 13 rebounds while Jackson of UMass was close behind with 23 points and 1 rebound.
- The Saints recorded a season low 30.4 shooting percentage shooting 24-79, in comparison to UMass Boston's 42.4 shooting percentage shooting 25-59.
- In the loss, the Saints were able to out rebound the Beacons 50-45 and also forced 20 turnovers on 13 steals.
- The Beacons will be back at home on Thursday, January 10th at 5:30PM to face LEC opponent Plymouth State University.
- Emmanuel will be looking for their first GNAC victory on Thursday at 7PM on the Andy Yosinoff court against Regis College.