Gallaudet University, 63; Emmanuel College, 96
Emmanuel College Saints (1-0. 0-0 GNAC)
Gallaudet University Bison (0-2, 0-0 NEAC)
Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Saturday, November 17, 2018
THE LEAD: Junior guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) scored a career-high 28 points to go along with a career-best 16 rebounds to power the Emmanuel College women's basketball team past Gallaudet University, 96-63, on Saturday afternoon in the opening round of the 35th Annual EC Tip Off Classic.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) and senior guard Maddie McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I.) took control of the Saints offense to begin the action, combining for nine quick points to put the Saints ahead 15-3 with 6:25 remaining in the quarter.
- The Saints continued their offensive dominance as Ramirez-Tejeda collected off the offensive board and freshman duo Riley Lahiff (North Attleboro, Mass.) and Loredana D'Agostino (Broad Brook, Conn.) each scored their first collegiate baskets to close out the first quarter 31-12.
- EC started the second quarter on a six-point run before the Bison's Jakkisha Smith (Dallas, Texas) and Kendall Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) scored four quick points midway through the second quarter to make it 37-18.
- An all-freshman lineup closed out the second period for the Saints, with Molly DeBettencourt (Oak Bluffs, Mass.) and Polina Ovchinnikova (Moscow, Russia) each scoring their first collegiate baskets, closing out the half ahead 58-22.
- Gallaudet was able to pick up their offensive production in the third, scoring a total of 17 points as Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) scored five in the quarter, but the Saints were able to continue their offensive dominance closing the quarter ahead, 88-39.
- The Bison closed the game strong, outscoring the hosts by a 24-8 margin in the final quarter as senior guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) dropped eight in the stanza while Neild added seven but it was too little too late as the Saints coasted to the 33 point victory in their 2018-19 opener.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda finished the afternoon shooting 14-for-20 from the field for a career-high 28 points while her 16 boards also matched her career-high.
- McLaughlin added 12 points and four assists in the win while deBettencourt posted 10 points in her collegiate debut.
- Nield led the way for the Bison with a team-high 19 points to go along with seven rebounds. Shysh was also in double-figures with 13 points while Hudson added 10 points and seven rebounds for Gallaudet.
- The Saints held a 67-45 rebounding advantage in the win.
- EC also dominated the bench scoring with a 35-13 edge in scoring for the reserves.
- The Saints return to action tomorrow afternoon when they play host to Westfield State University in the EC Tip Off Classic Championship game at 3:00 PM. The Owls topped Pine Manor College earlier this afternoon by a 102-45 score to advance to the finals.
- Gallaudet will face Pine Manor in the Consolation game at 1:00 PM on the Andy Yosinoff Court.