Score: Norwich University, 52; Emmanuel College, 79
Records: Norwich University Cadats (10-16); Emmanuel College Saints (20-6)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, February 20th, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College Women's Basketball team defeated Norwich University on Tuesday evening, 79-52, led by a combined 48 points by the Saint's starters, extending their winning streak to 16 games and advancing to the Great Northeast Athletic Conference semifinal, on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first five minutes of play was controlled by the Saint's Mary McCarthy (Scituate, Mass.), who scored eight points early to get Emmanuel ahead, 13-6.
- The Cadets closed the lead to four off of a made layup by Katie Dixon (Revere, Mass.) but Madison McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I) of EC hit a shot from behind the arc with two seconds left to close out the period, 19-12.
- In the first minute of the second period, Arianna Harrison (Vernon, Vt.) and Julia Vigorito (Malden, Mass.) of Norwich were able to hit two quick shots to close the lead back to three, only down 19-16.
- Norwich kept the game close throughout the second period before the momentum was shut down by Emmanuel's Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn), connecting on a layup and drawing the defensive foul, 27-23.
- With the and-one, the Saints went on a 15-0 run, six of which came from Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (South Boston, Mass.), to close out the first half of play, 39-23.
- The Saints continued the offensive attack in the first three minutes of play in the third period, to extend the lead to 20 points off of made back-to-back jump shots by Weaver, 45-25.
- Shyann Josler (Thetford Center, VT.) put some spark back in the offense of the Cadets in the middle of the third quarter, but the Saints bench came in hot to extend the lead to 28 points as Olivia Dalphonse (Buxton, Maine) made a shot from behind the arc, 60-32.
- EC's Kendra Pannell (Bloomingrose, Wv.) came off of the bench in the fourth period and scored a quick eight points for Emmanuel to keep the Cadets at bay.
- Emmanuel finished out the final quarter on an 11-8 run to take down the Norwich University Cadets, 79-52.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Junior center Mary McCarthy completed her first double-double of the season, ending the night with 13 points and collecting 10 rebounds.
- Josler of the Cadets recorded her own double-double, scoring 20 points while also collecting ten rebounds to close out her collegiate career.
- Kayla Weaver of the Saints controlled the tempo of the game from the helm, scoring a team high 17 points and dishing out three assists.
- Ramirez-Tejeda was one rebound shy of a double-double with 10 points and nine boards, with all of those stats coming in the first half of play.
- The Saints were able to outrebound the Cadets, 49-40, and created defensive chaos, causing 22 turnovers by Norwich.
- Emmanuel College will host the number three seed Suffolk University in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference semifinal on Thursday, February 22nd at 7:00pm.