Score: Anna Maria College, 56; Emmanuel College, 104
Records: Anna Maria Amcats (4-21, 3-13 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (19-6, 15-1 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, February 17th, 2018
THE LEAD: The three seniors of Emmanuel College led the scoring attack for the Saint, putting a combined 48 points on the board to close out the regular season with a win over Anna Maria College, 107-56, extending their winning streak to 15 games in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action on Saturday afternoon, on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints took a quick 7-0 lead in the first quarter with a pair of layups by Mary McCarthy (Scituate, Mass.) and Alisha Fox (National Park, N.J.) and a three pointer by Ryan Maynard (Bowie, Md.).
- Anna Maria was able to tie the game at 10 points apiece, with a made shot behind the arc by Kristina Russo (South Windsor, Conn.) and five quick points by Maritza Gustave (Fall River, Mass.).
- A strong defensive effort and the offensive play of Caitlin Cipriano (Waterbury, Conn.) allowed Emmanuel to go on a 10-3 run to finish out the first period up, 20-13
- EC extended their lead early in the second period on four consecutive shots from behind the arc, three from Madison McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I.) and one by Olivia Dalphonse (Buxton, Maine), 37-15.
- The Saints continued to put points up on the board through the final few minutes of the half by going on a 20-3 run, heading to break up 57-18.
- Maynard and McCarthy put a quick five points on the board for the Saints out of the break before Russo of Anna Maria put up her own 11 points within a two minute stretch to close the gap, 68-29.
- Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) and McLaughlin closed out the third period with back to back layups for the Saints, finishing the quarter up 80-39.
- Senior guard Sasha Puglisi (Cross River, N.Y.) connected on a layup halfway through the final period to continue the Saints offensive attack, 89-44.
- Emmanuel finished out the final quarter on a 15-12 run to complete their regular season schedule with a win over Anna Maria College, 107-56.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Senior guard Ryan Maynard finished with a team leading and career best day, scoring 22 points along with two assists and three rebounds.
- Russo of the Amcats connected on seven shots from behind the arc on her way to a game high 28 points, along with one rebound and three steals.
- EC recorded a single-game school record, connecting on 10 three-pointers within one half of the game.
- The Saints have scored over 100 points in six games this season, while in the last 15 years combined, EC only recorded 4 to the same measure.
- Emmanuel College will host seventh seeded Norwich University in the Great Northeast Athletic Conference quarterfinals on Tuesday, February 20th at 7:00pm.