Score: Simmons College, 54; Emmanuel College, 73
Records: Simmons College Sharks (2-16, 2-11 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (17-6, 11-1 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, February 3rd, 2018
THE LEAD: Emmanuel College extended their winning streak to 11-games, led by a double-double from sophomore guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda, scoring 21 points and collecting 12 rebounds as the Saints take down Simmons College, 73-54, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action on Saturday afternoon, on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Carli Koffinke (Franklin, Mass.) started off the night with a made shot behind the arc to put the Sharks up 3-0 within the first minute of the contest.
- The Saints were able to take the lead after five minutes of play from a made layup by sophomore guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn), 6-4.
- Olivia Dalphonse (Portland, Maine) and Caitlin Cipriano (Waterbury, Conn.) came off the bench late in the quarter to spark the offense, closing out the quarter for the Saint up, 18-12.
- Neither team was able to score early in the second quarter until Dalphonse got ahead of the Shark defense to make a fast break layup, extending the Saints lead to eight points.
- EC held on to the lead through the second quarter, with both teams trading layups by Julia LaMontagne (Amesbury, Mass) of the Sharks and Ramirez-Tejeda for Emmanuel, closing the half 32-26.
- The Sharks came out of the break hot with three quick field goals to tie the game, 32-32, before Madison McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I) extended the lead back to three from a made shot behind the arc.
- Presley Silva (Wilmington, Mass.) kept the Sharks within ten through the second period until the Saints went on a 12 point streak late in the period, closing out the quarter 54-43.
- The Saints continued the offensive attack through the fourth quarter, extending the lead to 16 points off of a made layup by senior captain Alisha Fox (National Park, N.J.).
- Weaver connected on four late game free throws to push the Saints past College of the Fenway rival Simmons College, 73-54.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda recorded her twelfth double-double of the season, recording 21 points and 12 rebounds.
- Three of the Shark starters, Silva, LaMontagne, and Koffinke, recorded double digits in the point's column, while only one Saint starter was able to do the same.
- EC was able to collect 17 points from the free throw line, while the Sharks only got to the line a total of 10 times, making half of their attempts.
- Fox was able to record double digit points for the Saints, coming off the bench to help boost the offense with her own 10 points and two steals.
- The Sharks host Regis College on Tuesday, February 6th at 7:00PM in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference match-up.
- Emmanuel College heads on the road for three straight conference games, beginning on Tuesday at Lasell College at 7:00PM.