Score: Suffolk University, 55; Emmanuel College, 81
Records: Suffolk University Rams (14-5, 7-3 GNAC), Emmanuel College Saints (13-6, 9-1 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, January 30, 2018
THE LEAD: Four starters scored in double-figures to lift Emmanuel College past Suffolk University, 81-55, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference women's basketball action Tuesday evening on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints raced out to an early 8-1 lead fueled by six points from junior center Mary McCarthy (Scituate, Mass.) but the Rams fought back to take a 17-16 lead with under two minutes to play in the quarter on a layup by sophomore forward Alexis Hackett (Charlton, Mass.).
- Senior guard Georgia Bourikas (Hull, Mass.) converted a layup with 10 seconds to play in the first quarter to give Suffolk the 23-21 lead through one.
- EC sophomore guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (South Boston, Mass.) connected on back to back possessions with layups to help the hosts regain a 29-26 lead with 6:25 to play in the half.
- Emmanuel extended its lead to 41-34 on a steal and fast break layup from junior guard Olivia Dalphonse (Portland, Maine) and two possessions later, sophomore guard Kayla Weaver's (West Haven, Conn.) steal and layup made it 47-36 heading into halftime.
- The Saints exploded in the third quarter to break the game open, taking a 21 point lead on a Ramirez-Tejeda fast break bucket to make it 63-42 with less than three to play in the period and carried a 74-47 lead into the final stanza.
- EC led by as many as 30 in the final frame, cruising to a 81-55 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda finished the evening with 18 points and 14 rebounds for her fourth straight game with a double-double.
- Hackett paced the Rams with a team-best 15 points while Bourikas added 12 and now needs three points to score her 1,000th career point with Suffolk.
- EC senior Ryan Maynard (Bowie, Md.), Weaver and junior Madison McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I.) were also in double-figures with 16, 14 and 12, respectively.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Thursday evening when they play host to Johnson & Wales University at 7:30 PM in GNAC action.
- The Rams are also back on Thursday, hosting Anna Maria College at 5:00 PM.