Score: Rivier University, 58; Emmanuel College, 70
Records: Rivier University Raiders (0-13, 0-9 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (11-6, 7-1 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, January 25th, 2018
THE LEAD: Sophomore guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (South Boston, Mass.) recorded her eighth double-double of the season to power the Emmanuel College women's basketball team past Rivier University, 70-58, Thursday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Raiders came out of the gates hot and caught the Saints by surprise taking a 14-11 lead after the first period of play behind six points from junior guard Kaylee Kacavas (Dracut, Mass.).
- Rivier extended its lead to as many as eight points in the second quarter, taking a 24-16 lead following a layup by Haley Macken (Clifton Park, N.Y.) with 7:27 to play in the first half.
- The Saints responded with an 8-0 run to even the game at 24-24 after junior Madison McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I.) drained a three ball with 5:49 left in the quarter.
- The squads played the final five minutes of the half evenly, taking a 35-35 score into the halftime intermission.
- A 7-0 run to open the second half lifted the hosts on top for good but it didn't stop an outstanding defensive effort from Rivier to keep the game close.
- Emmanuel led 57-47 heading into the final frame, outscoring the Raiders 22-12 in the quarter to shift the momentum heading into the fourth.
- A jumper by senior guard Emilee Kacavas (Dracut, Mass.) pulled Rivier back to within single digits at 58-66 with 5:33 to play but it was the closest the visitors got as the Saints held on for the 70-58 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda finished with 18 points and 13 rebounds.
- K. Kacavas paced the Raiders with a game-high 21 points to go along with eight rebounds.
- Senior guard Alisha Fox (National Park, N.J.) gave the Saints a lift off the bench with a team-high 10 points including five triples.
- Junior Lizzy Meehan (Nashua, N.H.) also recorded a double-double for the Raiders with a game-high 16 rebounds to go along with 15 points.
- McLaughlin was also in double-figures for EC with 12 points.
- The win was the 799th career coaching victory for Emmanuel College Head Coach Andy Yosinoff who looks to become just the 13th NCAA Women's Basketball Coach and only second Division III Women's Basketball Coach to join the 800 win club this weekend.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Saturday afternoon for a 1:00 PM GNAC contest in New Haven, Conn. against Albertus Magnus College.
- The Raiders will also be in Connecticut this weekend, traveling to West Hartford for a 1:00 PM contest against University of Saint Joseph in more GNAC action.