January 20, 2018
WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Freshman forward Taylor Shubrick recorded her first collegiate double-double of the season with a game-high 20 points and 13 rebounds to push the Emmanuel College Saints past the University of Saint Joseph Blue Jays, 89-55, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference women's basketball contest inside the O'Connell Center on Saturday afternoon.
Score: University of Saint Joseph – 55, Emmanuel College – 89
Records: USJ (7-7, 2-4 GNAC), EC (9-6, 5-1 GNAC)
Location: West Hartford, Conn. – O'Connell Center
Date: Saturday, January 20, 2018
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A big first quarter by Emmanuel (25-9) where they shot 11-of-19 from the field and 3-of-4 from beyond the arc set the tone for the game as USJ was never able to recover from the early deficit.
- A three-ball from senior Ryan Maynard (Bowie, Md.) five seconds into the contest ignited a 7-0 run to start the game for the Saints.
- A three-point play by Guest at the 6:25 mark of the first quarter pulled USJ within 7-4, but that would be as close as they would get for the remainder of the game.
- Emmanuel answered with an 8-0 run including back-to-back three's from senior Alisha Fox (National Park, N.J.) and Maynard to jump ahead 15-4 halfway through the quarter.
- Another big run (8-1) by Emmanuel over the final 2:32 of the opening period built their lead to 25-9 at the end of the first.
- USJ tightened up in the second quarter, but couldn't crack into the Saints' lead.
- EC built its advantage to as big as 28 (49-21) following a layup by freshman Taylor Shubrick (Longmeadow, Mass.), but the Blue Jays closed the half strong with a 6-0 run to enter the locker rooms trailing 49-27.
- USJ hit 6-of-8 free throws in the final 1:10 of the half to account for the scoring.
- A 7-3 spurt capped by a Guest three to start the third period drew the Blue Jays within 52-34, but that would be as close as they would get for the remainder of the contest.
- EC would take a 70-41 lead into the fourth quarter and cruise over the final 10 minutes to secure the 89-55 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Guest led USJ with a team-high 18 points and 11 rebounds to post her fifth double-double of the season. She shot 6-of-12 from the floor, 1-of-3 from three, and 5-of-7 from the line.
- Senior Rajeen Mayo (Middletown, Conn.) joined Guest in double figures with 13 points and also added a pair of assists and steals. She connected for 11-of-14 attempts from the charity stripe.
- Shubrick led the Saints with a game-high 20 points and game-high 13 rebounds to post a double-double in 25 minutes off the bench. She was a perfect 8-of-8 shooting from the floor and hit 4-of-8 attempts from the line.
- Maynard and Fox also finished in double digits for the visitors with 17 points and 11 points, respectively. Maynard drained 5-of-8 attempts from three.
- Sophomore Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) facilitated EC's offense with a game-high seven assists to go with seven points, while classmate Caitlin Cipriano (Waterbury, Conn.) blocked a game-high four shots and added eight points and eight boards.
- Emmanuel's high-pressure, full-court defense gave USJ fits all game resulting in 27 Blue Jay turnovers which the Saints turned into 36 points.
- The visitors also controlled the down low outscoring USJ 38-14 in points in the paint and held a 55-41 rebounding advantage.
The USJ women's basketball team will look to bounce back when they return to the hardwood next on Tuesday, Jan. 23 on the road against Regis. The GNAC tilt is slated for tip-off at 6 p.m. Emmanuel is also back in play next on Tuesday when they travel to GNAC opponent Norwich at 7:30 p.m.